Lookin for a tranny in AK 4wd 5speed man

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
AK_Tercel
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Lookin for a tranny in AK 4wd 5speed man

Post by AK_Tercel »

Hey guys, have used the forum a lot and love my tercel. This is the first time I have actually needed help. Blew the transmission on my 1984 SR5 4wd 5 speed manual, totally bummed. Shopping around a bit it appears trannies are hard to come by, and there are no guarantees with a used one either. My tercel has a little over 250k, runs pretty well, but I'm on the fence. If I can find a transmission for 300 to 450 I think it might be worth trying to swap it out myself, otherwise there might be some parts available here soon. Advice or a lead on a tranny up north would be awesome....
vwrobus
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd SR5 wagon

Re: Lookin for a tranny in AK 4wd 5speed man

Post by vwrobus »

Trannys ARE hard to come by! I searched the local junkyards for close to 2 years before getting one! Then I pulled 2 more in the following weeks that were in the junkyard! Feast or famine! I hope you will find the same luck. These cars ARE worth saving! I think the best bet is to make twice weekly trips to the junkyards. The good stuff comes and goes quick. Best of luck to all of us in the busted knuckle bunch...
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I tried to find a replacement auto trans for mine when it failed and could find none in Western Canada. I ended up taking it apart, finding the failed part and replacing it using one from an old 2wd transmission that I bought as scrap for cheap. I'm not sure if the 2wd manual trans are as similar to the 4wd manual trans as the autos are, but given how rare good transmissions seem to be getting, it's probably inevitable that taking apart and scavenging will eventually be the new norm.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum AK Tercel, there are wrecking yards that will ship you a used and warranty trans, you have to go to one of the websites that has wrecking yard networks where you post what you want and they will email you offers that including shipping. last time I did that a few years ago it was $250-450 to have one crated and shipped to me, with a one year warranty. I found one locally for $100, but I had to go pull it myself and bring it home, not sure if the extra effort was worth the savings. Of course you do not have many options, but I would think it is well worth fixing even at the cost of shipping a trans.

Another option might be to pull your trans (it has to come out anyway), and than pull it apart and see what actually failed. You might be able to fix with just a few parts. It is not any cheaper to do a full rebuild, including any replacement parts and a rebuild kit than buying a used trans, but you will get all new internal parts at least.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

FYI to everyone, AK_tercel posted this thread back in april so he might have moved on by now.

in case you're still around and seeking a trans though, check out this post:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6& ... =15#p64852

one forum member had a break down in alaska but was lucky enough to find other tercel enthusiasts and even another tercel to pull parts from. if you send joemcdonough89 a PM (you should see the icon just below his username on the right) he might be able to tell you where that terc was or even put you in touch with the owner or someone else who can help you. might be a long shot but you never know unless you try.