TVSV and drivability

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: TVSV and drivability

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

For those looking for one of these in the junkyards, I found one with my 4a engine from an 85' Chevrolet Nova. They are mounted in a hose that runs right above the flywheel end of the engine, appears to be identical component.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Good looking out! Thanks!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

Before I take a dive and reimburse xirdneh his $100 price for a new TVSV, I need to eliminate the possibility that a good used TVSV is available. I've just written Petros about his collection, but what about the rest of you guys?

It needs to be vacuum-leak-free and also to pass the tests on FSM page EC-22. The first one I found right here was vacuum-leak-free but it failed those tests.

After more study, it's become clear to me that the TVSV has to work right for cold-engine drivability. As page EC-54 shows, the auxiliary acceleration pump (AAP) is actuated by vacuum directly from the TVSV. No vacuum means no AAP actuation. But the sole raison d'etre for the AAP is cold-engine drivability.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

stanrob wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 pm Before I take a dive and reimburse xirdneh his $100 price for a new TVSV,
i'm not the one selling the TVSV

i have an all brass TVSV that i found somewhere. it has no plastic. the upper portion with the ports is all brass.
have not tested it yet. i am going to use it on the next tercel i work on that needs it
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
stanrob
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Two 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD, Cal. emission controls, one now a parts car (good engine & transmission, still had full power at 310K), another, a low-rust project car, with 307k miles, from Petros

Post by stanrob »

Oops, I should have remembered it was irowiki who had the brand new one.

While looking back at my meandering posts, I believe my choke actuation theory was insufficient to explain what's going on. More thinking, plus looking back at others' posts, persuades me that AAP non-actuation is probably the really important part. This is underscored by our colleague's reporting (far above) of a jerk encountered in the course of applying power when fully warmed up. His faulty TVSV was transmitting manifold vacuum to the AAP. This would be sort of a mirror view of my no-vacuum situation.