Interior Carpet

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

The carpet on my dad's 83 is really bad. I need a new one that is exactly or identical to the original one. Where can I find one?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Look for tercels with the same interior colors at your local wrecking yards.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Yeah, the wreckers can surprise you sometimes. If the car was looked after by the owners, the carpet can be really good. Also there are companies that sell moulded carpets for pretty much any car, just search on google or whatever. They are expensive too.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

couldn't you take carpet and put some in the car, draw lines on it, cut it and install it urself? i'd like to replace some of the cloth on the sides and such also. And then eventually take each piece of the interior out, spray paint it with the G2 interior spray paint colors, and then put it back in :D
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

Here's a good site

<a href='http://www.autoupholsterykit.com/' target='_blank'>Auto Upholstery Kit</a>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Man it would be good if they made kits for Toyota seats. I'm reupholstering some Corolla GT-S seats for my Tercel and it takes a long time. Cutting and sewing carpet is done by professionals and it can be good, but it's probably not easy to do a good job.
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

My previous '86 was REALLY bad, I tore it ALL out. I found some of that similar carpet material, the coarse thin stuff on sale at home depot or something.

So, I cut my own carpet using the torn out carpet as a guide. The hardest part was forcing the new flat carpet to match the curved contours of the car with minimal folding. It was a big pita, and I had a couple large folds I couldn't do anything about, but it looked way better than before. I think I used several pieces to cover the car, one for the drivers side, one for passenger side, one for the tranny island, then one for each rear passenger side, etc....

As far as finding the right color, I have no idea.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

How do you get the carpet to stay on the car tho? Double sided tape or something? :P
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

I didn't use any adhesive at all.

I removed all the panels where the carpet goes underneath. I used those panels to clamp down on the carpet. The whole job was far from perfect, cause like I said, there would be these folds sticking a little bit up.

It did look MUCH better than it was before, and it was cheap.... I would have liked to do a much better job with some sort of actual kit, or replacement carpets, but that car was just about on it's last leg.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've found that you can GLUE boat carpet (thin low pile outdoor carpet) onto vinyl surfaces in a car.

I use clear silicone caulking (original type). Need to clean the vinyl with laquer thinner first.

This thin carpeting can be found in gray and tan colors, etc.

Could glue a cover on a dash...cover a door...or an arm rest, etc.

Could also glue it on the outside of the car, since it is weatherproof....would have a stealth Tercel? :blink:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Did you say "Shag-Carpet" on the Dash Takza? Now I know you live Waaay-Up in the Mountains! Waaaaaaaaay-Up!!!
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thereminator wrote:Did you say "Shag-Carpet" on the Dash Takza? Now I know you live Waaay-Up in the Mountains! Waaaaaaaaay-Up!!!
Well....I'm a lot classier than that! This carpet has a LOW PILE....real low.

But it is pretty far up...up here in the Himalyas...! :ph34r:

Up...down.......?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Thanks guys for the info. Now how about reupholstering the 83-84 style SR5 seats that match the color and pattern scheme?
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

not sure about the pattern, but what i'm going to do is use G5 interior spray on everything, the dash, seats, carpet (when i get new one in there), and any part that is visible from the inside of the car. White and black will be my color scheme probably. But if you want an original pattern and such, i'd look for another tercel that has the same kind and take it from that one.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

What does that spray do again? Maybe I'll look for another interior probably. My goal is to leave the car as original as possible but not for a high price of course.