WTB: hood scoop

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

WTB: hood scoop

Post by dlb »

anyone have a legit hood scoop that will fit a terc hood? all i can find around here are the stupid tape-down plastic ones that jokers put on their cavaliers and sunfires.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB: hood scoop

Post by Petros »

You mean like the ones here?:

looks expensive, from about $100 and up. I would go to a wrecking yard and look around for something I could use. You should find hood scoops in any local hot rod shop. Places that sell RV parts also have simple air scoops, as do boating supplier shops.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yup, like the top one. from what i just read, it sounds like a cowl scoop would work better because of the higher air pressure around where the hood and windshield meet but it would look way too overkill, as well as being an expensive custom job. i also just emailed terkill to ask where he got his scoop from. i thought about checking the wreckers but most scoops are built into hoods and getting a whole hood and cutting the scoop out would cost more and take more time than buying one. i should still go look just in case there is a nice aftermarket one lurking but i haven't had time for such leisurely strolls lately.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the forward curved part of the hood is a low pressure area, the idea with the scoop is to capture and stagnate the moving air in this area. Of course this adds drag. If you are trying to get clearance for the weber air cleaner than you might be better of with just a bump. I have been keeping my eye out for a production car with a nice "bump" in the hood. I would get it and cut it out to put on my hood. I am going to need a way to clear the 4age intake manifold when I eventually do my engine swap.

If you are looking for ram air pressure, the are next to the radiator (behind the grill) will have the higest pressure air. Also, the area right in front of the wind shield is also a high pressure area (that is why they put the vent/heater intake grill there).

I kind of think a scoop will look silly on a Tercel, but if you need it for clearance than you have another reason to have it. Do not expect any performance increase from it, and it will increase drag slightly.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i don't expect any increased performance from the scoop and i'm not worried about drag since i rarely drive over 90 km/h. it's primarily just to clear the carb but i imagine that having cool air enter the hood at the air cleaner won't be a bad thing. could lower temps slightly.
Petros wrote:I kind of think a scoop will look silly on a Tercel
oh come on! you can't tell me this isn't awesome (9th pic down): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4566&p=33876
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i have one since i had the 40 idf installed in the car i used some foam to insulate it from the engine heat and it worked great

but then again i used to race the car
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

shogun, where did your scoop come from, or did you make it? how is it fastened?
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

Dave I have a hood for you 20$ give me a call.

Cheers Barto
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

Hey, got your email but ill post here...

I picked it up off ebay.. I don't remember where abouts on ebay though.

it was a paintable plastic one and I cemented it to the hood instead of using the sticky two sided tape that comes with it...

I used it because:
- putting washers under the back of the hood only took an inch of clearance issues
- had 50% better throttle response at highway speeds, it really did help with the air filter sticking 3 inches out of my hood but I put the scoop to keep kids from tampering with it.
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This may be (prob is) a dumb question, but here goes...
With the open part of the scoop facing forwards, doesn't that kind of funnel water into the carb when moving in the rain?
With the open part of the scoop facing backwards, isn't it then functioning only as a bulge?

If you have a 32/36 on a stock 3-4AC and a short Redline filter, it almost clears - although I did have to mod my filter element and hood bracing while using the OE phenolic spacer - and some others did not for ? reason.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

terkill, thanks for getting back to me so quick. i thought yours looked like one of the scoops that was all over ebay. did it have a grill to help keep water and debris out? what kind of cement did you use, and did you have any problems with the cement coming undone?

tom, no such thing as dumb questions. if you're asking it, someone else has likely wondered it too. as mentioned above, the screen/grill is used to keep water and bugs and kids' teeth out of the air filter. facing backwards, if the opening is up close to the windshield it sucks more air due to the high pressure area where the hood and windshield meet. if it's not close to the windshield, yup, it's just a bulge.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

mine came from ebay, i had a fiberglass hood that had a bigger one but fell on it and ended the hood
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

where did you find a fiberglass hood for a Tercel? who made them? Are there any still available?
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

Yeah mine is the cheap one from ebay but I reinforced it, I appologize for never sharing this with you guys... it actually took my almost a week to finish that scoop setup.

I had a prefilter on my carb to keep out the heavy dust, I just looked up 32/36 Pre-Filter.
I lined the scoop with foam and shaped it so it funneled air behind the filter ALSO.
I put a metal screen on the front from a hardware store and JB welded it, I used plastic to metal cement to cement it to the hood

directly AFTER the opening of the scoop, the metal of the hood was cut into jagged strips and curved up slightly so that water running up the hood went up the strips, not down, and hit the top of the scoop and ran down the back of it toward the firewall. Tested the angle of the metal with shooting water at the scoop and some highway runs..

The back of the scoop also had some of these metal strips.. I wish I took pictures.

Most of my airflow was obtained from air running into the back of the filter, the front entry of my scoop was mostly a relatively large baffel directing air up -> around -> and into the back of the filter and letting the rain water drip down over the engine.

"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that sounds like an awesome setup. super impressed. i'm going to rip you off and see what i can come up with. i'll try to remember to take some pics for a repair guide in case anyone else takes this route in the future.