Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order Now!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
User avatar
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
Posts: 6369
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:52 pm
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82
Location: Kirkwood, a 'burb of St. Louis

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by ARCHINSTL » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm

I forgot to ask, and excuse my ignorance, but - will this bolt right up without having to use longer/more mounting bolts in the strut mounts? I have KYB mounts.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain

ohcanada_00
Top Notch Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:12 pm
My tercel:: 1984 DLX 4WD
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Contact:

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by ohcanada_00 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:20 pm

ARCHINSTL wrote:I will - but - after the first of the year; I've spent too much this year, what with the Daisys, tires, propeller shaft,the Bosal muffler/pipe and front pipe, and rear bearings, bushings, and KYBs.
Tom M.
You know to make it easier to convince the wife, can I wait and throw in with Tom that way there are at least two at the same time which might make your fabricator a little happier? might be able to drum up a couple more between now and then too so we have kind of a group buy thing going?
"Any car which holds together for an entire race is entirely too heavy" -Colin Chapman

84' DLX with 6 speed (the project beast) 'Tora'
84' SR5 'Tori' (the daily driver)
08' Scion xB
04' Kawasaki Z1000

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:41 pm

ARCHINSTL wrote:I forgot to ask, and excuse my ignorance, but - will this bolt right up without having to use longer/more mounting bolts in the strut mounts? I have KYB mounts.
Tom M.
Hey Tom - I don't know about the aftermarket stuff but the fabricator said there's enough thread in the stock three mounting points atop the strut tower to work fine. I'll take pics when I get the first two done?
ohcanada_00 wrote:You know to make it easier to convince the wife, can I wait and throw in with Tom that way there are at least two at the same time which might make your fabricator a little happier? might be able to drum up a couple more between now and then too so we have kind of a group buy thing going?
Yeah - look, I'm not saving any money or anything with a group buy. I think the time for each one is about the same and he works to an hourly rate so it's sorta fixed. I'm going to get mine and am happy to offer the same to others here. It would just mean for less running around for me to get them done all at once. But whatever you want. If my enthusiasm is still up to get it done for you later in the year, I'll let you know! ;)

I'm actually kinda jazzed with this guy. If the bracing goes well, I'm going to ask him about subframe options and sways, etc... :)
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

User avatar
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
Posts: 10894
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:31 pm
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods
Location: Arlington WA USA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by Petros » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:08 pm

St6fan wrote:So, thus far we have two orders. Anyone else (Petros?) let me know - you could pick it, saving on shipping and we could kick tyres! :P

This fabricator will also make *anything* else. Sway bars, etc... If there's anything the aftermarket doesn't cater for that can be made, he'll make it. :)
That is a bit out of my budget right now. Though that is a very competitive price for custom made brace. I have a Nissan one I got at a wrecking yard cheap, and I am working on adapting it to fit the Tercel.

I might take him up on the making "anything" later when I get further along with my conversion.

I have read that strut braces noticeably reduces the understeer (at least on other cars), so I am looking forward to trying one out. I suspect our car frame is a bit of a flexy flyer, seeing that it was designed as an econo-box hatch back.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Petros wrote:That is a bit out of my budget right now. Though that is a very competitive price for custom made brace. I have a Nissan one I got at a wrecking yard cheap, and I am working on adapting it to fit the Tercel.

I might take him up on the making "anything" later when I get further along with my conversion.

I have read that strut braces noticeably reduces the understeer (at least on other cars), so I am looking forward to trying one out. I suspect our car frame is a bit of a flexy flyer, seeing that it was designed as an econo-box hatch back.
No probs, just let me know as/when.

As for econoboxes naturally flexing, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Back in the UK I owned a/several Peugeot 205 GTi, Ranault 5GT Turbo, Citroen AX GT, Citroen Saxo VTS 16, Starlet Turbo (Jap Import) Del-Dol SiR, and loads more. All were marketed at basic boxes with a hot option there and ALL handles amazingly with simply bracing, ARB, suspension and brakes. I expect that with the bracing and ARBs up front, flex there will be pretty much negated. I'd appreciate your help looking into subframe locking options, too.

Oh, and a carb install when you're feeling generous. How about I buy your brace and you fit a Weber for me? :D
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

User avatar
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
Posts: 10894
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:31 pm
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods
Location: Arlington WA USA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by Petros » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:03 pm

St6fan wrote:Oh, and a carb install when you're feeling generous. How about I buy your brace and you fit a Weber for me? :D

I would do that. PM me about details and what stuff you have available there. Or do you want to come to my place (where I know I have everything we will need). I am about 1.5 to 2 hours drive from you depending on how you hit the ferry.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)

smilesforu
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 pm
My tercel:: 83 4wd sr5 wagon 120k
Location: Port Angeles wa

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by smilesforu » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:16 am

str6 where are you located? I am in port angeles and would be interested in taking a look if your close.

User avatar
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
Posts: 10894
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:31 pm
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods
Location: Arlington WA USA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by Petros » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:08 pm

St6fan wrote:Sounds like a plan! :)...Can you let me have a concise shopping list and I'll get everything ordered.
Go to the thread on the weber instillation and get the list of parts. I have a junk 3A carb we can pull the throttle bell crank off and have the mod done to have a good working throttle.

St6fan wrote:You fancy looking at suspension options too? :)
Sure, why not? Gas filled struts, what else? Or anything else you want to install. How about an MR2 front brake upgrade? I can do one of those in under 2 hours, assuming we have all the parts. See my thread on the topic, I even have an MR2 brake booster to sell you. I can give you a list of parts to get, or that I need to get locally.
St6fan wrote:I also keep a Mazda MPV 4WD in the fleet too - though mine's a stripped-out fishing/hunting rig. Have you had to change the starter yet? :P
Yes, several times (it has almost 300k miles on it, it is on its second engine and trans). It is easier to remove the exhaust manifold, not to try and get at it from the bottom like the idiot FSM tells you. IT has been a good work horse, though it is showing it's age, and my wife likes the Buick my parents gave us (I hate it). Wish it got better MPG, getting costly to operate.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Petros wrote:Go to the thread on the weber instillation and get the list of parts. I have a junk 3A carb we can pull the throttle bell crank off and have the mod done to have a good working throttle.
Will do!
Petros wrote:Sure, why not? Gas filled struts, what else? Or anything else you want to install. How about an MR2 front brake upgrade? I can do one of those in under 2 hours, assuming we have all the parts. See my thread on the topic, I even have an MR2 brake booster to sell you. I can give you a list of parts to get, or that I need to get locally.
Anything you fancy! I'm happy to buy anything you're happy to help me fit though you have to let me make it up to you properly!
Petros wrote:Yes, several times (it has almost 300k miles on it, it is on its second engine and trans). It is easier to remove the exhaust manifold, not to try and get at it from the bottom like the idiot FSM tells you. IT has been a good work horse, though it is showing it's age, and my wife likes the Buick my parents gave us (I hate it). Wish it got better MPG, getting costly to operate.
[/quote]
I love mine. I couldn't work out the starter at all - gave it to my mechanic on a fixed rate of $200 and made him HATE me!
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 pm

Petros wrote:Go to the thread on the weber instillation and get the list of parts. I have a junk 3A carb we can pull the throttle bell crank off and have the mod done to have a good working throttle.
Will do!
Petros wrote:Sure, why not? Gas filled struts, what else? Or anything else you want to install. How about an MR2 front brake upgrade? I can do one of those in under 2 hours, assuming we have all the parts. See my thread on the topic, I even have an MR2 brake booster to sell you. I can give you a list of parts to get, or that I need to get locally.
Anything you fancy! I'm happy to buy anything you're happy to help me fit though you have to let me make it up to you properly!
Petros wrote:Yes, several times (it has almost 300k miles on it, it is on its second engine and trans). It is easier to remove the exhaust manifold, not to try and get at it from the bottom like the idiot FSM tells you. IT has been a good work horse, though it is showing it's age, and my wife likes the Buick my parents gave us (I hate it). Wish it got better MPG, getting costly to operate.
I love mine. I couldn't work out the starter at all - gave it to my mechanic on a fixed rate of $200 and made him HATE me! And they do EAT gas, huh?
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:42 pm
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration
Location: Seattle WA
Contact:

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by SynthDesign » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm curios.

Also it's gotta be able to clear a weber carb as well as stock carb and possibly a 4AC transplant. Just throwin it out there.

St6fan, You know a 4A-GE powered Tercel will need it!

If you got a Fab guy that can do sway bars and mounts, I REALLY wanna stiffer front one!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
86 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX for sale (BluBoy)
86 Toyota Tercel SR5 Canadian Import (Galena)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Wait I have more

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:37 pm

SynthDesign wrote:I'm curios.

Also it's gotta be able to clear a weber carb as well as stock carb and possibly a 4AC transplant. Just throwin it out there.

St6fan, You know a 4A-GE powered Tercel will need it!

If you got a Fab guy that can do sway bars and mounts, I REALLY wanna stiffer front one!
Hey, looking at the ARB on the front, I thought it was plenty big enough. Huge compared to lots of cars with such an, erm, modest amount of power. I can ask him about ARBs...

Anyway, I had the first two (one for me, one for Petros) built and I've been able to try it out in high and low friction driving. The handling difference is surprisingly big - perhaps the biggest change I've seen in a car with a upper brace of the ten or so I've done over the years.

The understeer issue is almost completely gone - even when hard-cornering in the wet the front end is so much more stable with much more traction. The feeling, in general, I get from the steering is much more positive, even with my aging shocks. I'm going to spray them then I'll grab a snap and post it.
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
Posts: 563
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 pm
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd
Location: Chico, Norcal

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by 4wdchico » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Please let us know how much clearance is between the strut bar and the stock air cleaner assy if possible.

Cool stuff, thanks for taking the initiative on this.

St6fan
Top Notch Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm
My tercel:: 1987
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by St6fan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm

4wdchico wrote:Please let us know how much clearance is between the strut bar and the stock air cleaner assy if possible.

Cool stuff, thanks for taking the initiative on this.
No probs. It goes behind the assembly. I felt this would be the most future-proofed way of doing things.

Just grabbed a snap with my laptop webcam:

Image
1986 Tercel 4WD Slug-On-Rails
1969 Miro 12' Skiff with 15HP Evinrude
2006 Prius (Sorry, but I totally love it)

User avatar
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
Posts: 6369
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:52 pm
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82
Location: Kirkwood, a 'burb of St. Louis

Re: Front Upper Strut Braces: Custom Fabricated: $125 Order

Post by ARCHINSTL » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am

Another BIG THANKS for the writeup, pix, and info - and your work.
I WILL be in touch in January!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain

Post Reply