Parting out my 84

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Sorry Ludehawk! The whole car was purchased and towed away! I posted that a while back but it probably got lost in the discussions of Subarus and stuff, now that I have hijacked this thread for my own personal gain! heh heh heh

If it makes you feel better, I rebuilt the carb but I will still having problems....maybe it was fuel supply though, who knows. blah!

Back to my Subaru discussions...I went to the dealer on Sunday (no sales guys) and had a look-see...I was less impressed with the cars up close, they seem too big for what I want! OH well. Interestingly though, the Forester gets better mileage than the Impreza? That could be engine actually.....some of those things have a 2.2, some have a 2.5turbo, that would suck some more gas.

But engine size isn't ALWAYS indicative of gas mileage: I read a nice article of a guy who shoehorned a Cadillac NorthStar V-8 into some circa-1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet! yes, that tiny little convertible of theirs. The pictures were sweet of the engine in there, and they said "and even though the v8 gives it huge power for a car this size, it still gets 32mpg on the freeway."
which is crazy to think about!

And I was researching on fueleconomy.gov, looking at these cargo vans I always have in the back of my head, like the nice modern fords and dodges, some of those were also offered in v6 instead of the standard smallblock v8...but hilariously, the v6 models ALWAYS get worse gas mileage than the same van with a v8.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Adelard of Bath wrote: And I was researching on fueleconomy.gov, looking at these cargo vans I always have in the back of my head, like the nice modern fords and dodges, some of those were also offered in v6 instead of the standard smallblock v8...but hilariously, the v6 models ALWAYS get worse gas mileage than the same van with a v8.
I'd guess the V6 models have a shorter geared rear end to compensate for their lower power.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

But maybe it has something to do with an engine too small to pull that vehicle? Computer controlled vehicles tend to do different things to the mixture when you open the throttle wide....dunno, or it could be gears
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

All trucks and vans should be diesels anyway. :)