Parting out my 84

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

The two emblems on the rear doors and the one on the hatch. That's what makes it an SR5....LOL !! j/k. The differences I've seen are the seats, the tachometer ( i think), nicer interior, center console, etc. I'm not sure if it's only a trim pkg. or if there were any performance upgrades with the SR5. Were all SR5's 4WD ?? but not all 4WD's SR5's ??
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

oh, btw, I could be completely wrong on all that information I just posted.

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

I knew a guy who had a couple junker 85 or 86 4runners, they were both SR5....I wouldn't have called either one "luxurious" in any sense of the word...heh!
not even for something from 1985. Course am I correct in assuming that SUVs were a completely different beast back in the 80s? didn't have that "luxo-boat" "soccer-mom" "pipe-ride" thing going on? 4runner was probably marked to hunters with dogs or something
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Well, just so everyone knows, my 84 Tercel is gone gone gone! all gone! Now the driveway is very empty...just the other day some guy walked up to the house and asked about buying my old 1969 or whatever camper trailer...heh a little 13' job, I finally decided he could.
So now, lots of room, I should go buy something.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

So are you on the hunt for another Terc ?? We gotta keep you on the forum , Tercel or not !!

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I'm lookin!!! But I must be honest, I am looking for other vehicles as well....by which I mean, if a reasonable Civic 4wd comes along before a reasonable Tercel comes along, I just might buy the Civic and see how it goes....right now I'm all about the Justy...but I have fallen in love with this 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback, which is the one that looks like the wagon, except it is shorter and more sporty looking? But I am turned off by the weight of 2800 lbs or slightly more, and the length, 99.2 inch wheelbase, I want something smaller actually...oh and the outbacks don't have any low-range gearing. But I found one locally in this sweet red/silver with 5spd manual for 2500 bucks, 205k though, I am not sure how I feel about that, but that's the lowest price I have seen a Subaru that new.

I decided I have this goal in life to own as many different cars as I can, but I may come back to the Tercel if I find one! But at least, if I find something else, I can compare it for everyone and FINALLY there can be some answers to those burning questions put forth in the off-topic section, about other cars similar to the Tercel.

What *IS* the Tercel's wheelbase, anyway?
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I'm not sure on the wheelbase.....but there's gotta be somebody here who will know. I've heard a lot of good things about Subaru. I know the one you're talkin' about, the Outback, but I like the Forester 2.5 XT, too....they're both pretty sweet !! 210HP, LSD ( the axle, not the chemical), .....lots of other goodies, too....but I shall wait a few years until there are good used ones on the market to save the $$$. I think some of those things are pushin' up around $30K new.

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Yeah I won't buy anything until it is down below the 5k mark, and even that is pressing it...every time I have a car that I buy at 6k or thereabouts, by the time I sell it, it is ALWAYS $2000 /year depreciation in value, always, so then I developed this theory that I could beat that system and get $500 cars, I can have four/year and still maintain the 2k/year theory, but the problem is, they suck, and you never get to drive them really! So my NEW REVISED plan is that a car that is in the $2000 range is about perfect....it won't go down in value much more, and it SHOULD run pretty well on its own. That's why I'm so excited about this $2500 outback, but 205k? I dunno....that's alot for any car

I learned they have an H4 design engine, horizontally opposed cylinders! tha's crazy! two on this side, two on that side! I can't take it.

If only they had put a low-gear on the damn thing, like the Tercel. I'm not asking for a low-range transfer case, just a low gear at least.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Adelard of Bath wrote: ...I have fallen in love with this 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback, which is the one that looks like the wagon, except it is shorter and more sporty looking?
There's a larger Legacy Outback and the smaller Impreza Outback Sport. They look about the same as the Legacy and Impreza wagons, I don't know what makes the Outbacks special. Maybe more ground clearance?
What *IS* the Tercel's wheelbase, anyway?
I think it's a little over 95 inches.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Adelard of Bath wrote:So my NEW REVISED plan is that a car that is in the $2000 range is about perfect....it won't go down in value much more, and it SHOULD run pretty well on its own.  That's why I'm so excited about this $2500 outback, but 205k?  I dunno....that's alot for any car
I've always bought and driven older cars (though I shouldn't brag about it?). My "method" is to decide what I want or let circumstances decide for me....then check a car out carefully...trying to decide what might need to be repaired on the car.

Main issues.........rust.....engine......drivetrain.....think about the cost and availability of parts. I use some old copies of Consumer Reports that show the reliability ratings for used cars.

Look for lower mileage if possible....around 100K miles is good if possible. If it's a Toyota or Nissan...it still has some life in it...some other cars also. I bought my wagon at 190K miles against my own better judgement cause I wanted a 4WD....its done OK...but I've put some work into it....mostly bodywork & brakes...next is suspension work.

People sometimes think you are crazy for being so particular about a used car...but as you know....it's not always what you pay for it...but what you end up putting into it that matters.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Well I am certainly not scared of fixing stuff, so as long as I buy something that isn't falling apart at the seams, like my Tercel I just rid myself of....heh

Mostly though I buy things if it is there when I want something, or I happen upon it, or actually for the Tercel, I bought it from a guy at work cuz I was selling my Chevy Malibu cuz "it bored me to death" and he was selling the Tercel and I almost died laughing when I first saw it. You have to admit, it IS hilarious...cuz I had a Tercel before, the "normal" FWD 89 Tercel and it was the cheapest crappiest car I have ever had, and here is one, *older*, with four wheel drive? Then I looked in the window and saw the tilt-gauge from the 4runners and I almost had to go back in and change my pants.

Well maybe the Tercel was't the crappiest I've ever had, I was put off by its lack of amenities, and of course the super nasty carburetor blah blah blah, I think the crappiest car I ever had was my sister's 89 Ford Tempo. Or maybe it was that 85 Colt Vista...hmm.....I liked the Colt better but the Tempo ~ran~ better....but everyone hated the Tempo. It DID have electonically selectable AWD though.

That 86 Dodge Ramcharger was pretty bad..hmm.....I sense a pattern.....
yes...
yes I see it now
cars reach a point where there are too many things wrong to fix, even if it would otherwise be a good car...like what's the point of fixing problem A if you still have B C D and E and sometimes F to deal with? and then, when you are done with that, it is still an old car with xxx miles.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

So let's see....
Tercel, 95" wb
impreza 99" wb
not too much longer...

Tercel, 2250lbs
impreza 2850 lbs
a little more than I'd like but not too bad

tercel 27/32 mpg
impreza 22/29 mpg
taken from fueleconomy.gov

yes yes I know that CERTAIN people make mods to the tercel to get way better mileage than that, but just using it as a base reference, the subaru is not really that much worse at all.

Not to mention, much newer, more powerful, quieter, smoother, more fun to drive (who knows? too subjective to be accurate)

[flamesuit ON]

Hm I wonder if I could drop 600lbs of weight from the outback by removing soundproofing? hehehhe who wants to remove soundproofing though?
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Adelard of Bath wrote: Hm I wonder if I could drop 600lbs of weight from the outback by removing soundproofing? hehehhe who wants to remove soundproofing though?
You might get close by taking out the whole interior down to the metal and having maybe one seat. Kinda takes away from the newer, quieter thing. :)

Try to find the difference in weight between the Impreza Outback and the Impreza wagon, the Outback is probably the heaviest. I like the lighter 2-door Impreza. :)
ludehawk

Post by ludehawk »

Well... I didn't see many people wanting to buy anything lol

so... here's my wishlist!

- Tach/Speedo guage cluster... the entire thing :)
(my POS FWD thingy didn't come with a tach :( )
- CC position (face, feet, defrost...) cable :)
- The left (drivers side) vent... my left/right slider thingy broke :)
- your carb! lol
ludehawk

Post by ludehawk »

oh ya... something i forgot about...

in this cold weather my rear hatch struts are going out... (the ones that hold the rear hatch up when you open it) ... if yours are ok... those too :)