Good donor motor?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

I found this ad locally, have not gone out to see it. But that is super low low milage. Would this be a good motor donor for our little tercs?

1986 TOYOTA MR2, black, 137100 orig kms, 1 family owned, good motor, new tries, clean int, some rust, brakes need repair, $950 Tel: 204-237-1434
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The motor is a 4A-GE, but it is not an exceptional deal for a Tercel engine swap. It is a transverse engine so you would need to change intake and exhaust manifolds. For that price, you could get a low mileage Japanese motor and all the parts you need. If it were a Corolla GT-S rear wheel drive for that price with a good motor, that would be better - then you have the right intake and the electrical harness would fit with no snipping of any wires, and you could also use the disc brake rear end.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Pegger, have you seen the car ? I've toyed around with the idea of getting an MR2 just to play around with. I might be interested in that one if it's a decent car and the rust problem isn't too bad. Would be in line behind you , of course, if you have interest in buying it. I'd have to make a decision about driving to Canada , too.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

Have not seen the car. Given the info about the manifolds needing changing for the in line set up in our cars I don't think I'll get the MR2. (not to mention my motor has lots of life...)

I'm more than willing to do the leg work and go look at the car for you, take pics send them off etc...

Let me know.

Guy
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

If I were you I would not travel to Canada for a car. I've noticed that cars in Tenessee do not rust very much, at least the ones I've seen.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

You're right, 3A-C......rust isn't usually an issue here. There are two Terc wgns. at the junkyard I frequent now....both bodies are pretty much totally rust free, and really not even banged up too bad. I got some trim parts off the SR5 wagon that my car was missing, and even got a factory roof rack off of it as well.....going back next week for the trailer hitch. Do any of you know what my best source would be for the pieces that actually go into the roof for the rack to bolt into ?? There are 6 grommet-type studs in the roof that receive the screws that hold the rack in place. I tried to get a couple out of the roof of the car at the junkyard, but didnt' have any success....it'll take ripping the roof apart to get them out .

Pegger, if you are going to look at the car anyway, it'd be great to see some pics of it, but dont' go out of your way to for me. It would be hard to justify driving all the way to Canada, and then I would have no idea what kind of paperwork would be involved in getting the car back across the border. I do appreciate the offer, though, and the same thing stands down here.....I'll always keep my eyes open, esp. for Tercs that need a good home. Wish I could rescue those two bodies from the junkyard before they go to the crusher. If anybody needs parts, let me know and I'll see if I can find them for you.

MJ

Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

No problem.

You fellas from the south are really lucky. No snow means no salt on roads mean hardly any rust. I envy that.

Guy
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

We get some here, but it's not much. The wonderful TDOT ( TN Dept. of Transportation ) has taken to spraying the roads with a brine solution even at the mention of the words "snow" or "ice" in the weather forecast, though....so we're getting more of it that I would like. I'm sure, though, it's nothing like it is up north. Like I said about the two cars at the junkyard, they're both pretty much rust-free, and one with 230K and the other with 280K, both '85 models. Such a waste to know they're gonna be crushed.....I even asked about buying the whole car, but they would not sell them.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Those roofrack nuts are welded to the roof - if I'm right about that. That's what they always do with nuts on sheet metal parts. If you get something similar to the factory weld-nut, you could epoxy it on to the roof with JB-Weld or the like. Any nut with a generous washer should be fine. The nuts with big built in washers can be found under the dash holding things like the blower motor on. The thread is M6x1.
Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

Our car originated in Tennessee also. Its an 83 with very, very, little rust. The frame and undercarriage is great. The only rust is at the bottom of the liftgate and a spot or two where the paint has worn thin.

I have not been around to the local junkyards(wreckers) yet. So I do not know what is available here in Georgia. I will be getting around to them in the next month or so.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
Pegger
Advanced Member

Post by Pegger »

In case anyone was interested in it, I called the number to have a look at that MR2 and it has been sold.

Guy
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Pegger wrote: In case anyone was interested in it, I called the number to have a look at that MR2 and it has been sold.

Guy
Doh! Oh well, you would be better off with a FR version of the 4age anyhow. I think the MR/FF versions would just be a PIA because of the incorrect water outlets, throttle body, brackets etc. Keep an eye out for an AE86 4age.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS