Front springs source?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
SethM
Advanced Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5

Front springs source?

Post by SethM »

Just tried to purchase front coil springs from AutoZone (after seeing others on this site do the same)-- but was told they are no longer available from "their supplier." Anybody have another source? (was looking for the "with A/C" version).

Thanks,
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Front springs source?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

O'Reilly's site:
Spicer - Front Coil Spring
Part Number: 587-1055
NAPA's site:
Coil Spring - Front
Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts
Comments: w/ Air Conditioning;w/ Automatic Transaxle (IRRELEVANT-MT & AT use same springs)
Per Car Qty.: 1
Compare NCP 2775256
Not on Advance's site, but go into/call a store; that it is not on its site does not necessarily mean the store cannot get it.
My Fav OE Dealer, Butler Toy in Indy, has them for $45 each. * http://www.toyotaoemparts.com
Did you check the site sponsor, RockAuto, in the link here?
I'm pretty sure any "real" auto parts place can just order them as well.
Also get the rubber "insulator" ring which fits between the top of the spring and the seat.
I would strongly suggest getting all of the cushions, spacers, washers, nuts, and collars for the sway bar-to-lower arm mount; these are probably deteriorated. Do a Search in the Parts Forum and Repair Guides here - the OE numbers are listed.
Have fun!
Tom M.
* If you order from here (or RockAuto as well) - be sure to mention the Club - I think RA may have a discount and Butler needs to know we support their efforts to get T4WD parts (no discount and sounds corny, but these guys really go the extra mile fer shure)
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SethM
Advanced Member

Post by SethM »

Thanks Tom!

I'm on the east coast-- don't have O'Reilly's and Advance told me they didn't have them. Same with NAPA but now that I have a number will try them again. BUT I might just call Butler as I appreciate the point you are making about directing business to the folks that help us keep these wagons running. Side story: One Toyo dealer here got almost cranky with me when I asked about a water pump and said dismissively that "its a 25 year old car, we aren't going to have ANY parts in stock for that." I mentioned that the previous day a different dealer had sold me the little o-ring at the back of the suction housing... "well, some of the parts are used on all different engines." Yeah, which is why I asked about the water pump......
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Seth -
Thanks. The original reason I went with Butler back in 2005 was that its price on a particular part was markedly less than ANY of the many STL Metro Toy dealers. Later, most of these local dealers told me that xxx part was NLA; Butler found it, and subsequently a number of other "NLA" parts. As a bonus - its prices for OE parts has always been less than other dealers - and sometimes less than (or extremely close to) AM parts from parts houses.
The big thing is that many/most/all of these dealers do not have parts for "mature" cars in stock, of course, but would have to query the big Toy geographical warehouses and then order them. I've found that the STL-area dealers, for whatever reason, are uninterested - Butler is. To me, it's always been "A sale (buck) is a sale (buck)." I did this in my bicycle store - it worked out OK.
I'd think that O'Reilly, as it is online (as well as having mucho brick-and-mortar stores), would ship the parts as well to where ever - it is a quite-expanding challenge to AZ and ADV.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
animeracing
My tercel:: '83/84 AL21

Post by animeracing »

Rockauto shows them for $50-70 each, but those are just aftermarket replacements for all models w/AC.

My guess would be that the 4WD wagons, especially w/AC and an automatic tranny, would have even stiffer springs than the 2WD wagon or hatchbacks, due to the additional weight of the 4WD drivetrain.

If Butler indeed has OEM or similar springs made just for the 4WD, $45/ea is a steal, even with the cost of shipping such things.

As far as the things like getting a water pump from the dealer, usually the OEM stuff is long gone, and you're simply buying an aftermarket part from them, at the same price and markup as if it were an original OEM part. This is sometimes the case even if it comes in an OEM Toyota box with the Toyota part number on the label. It IS nice when you have a dealer that can track down NOS stuff from some warehouse, but just be careful, it'd suck to buy a water pump for $100+ from a dealer, only to find out it's just the same GMB pump you can get at a part store for $50, or online for even less.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well -
What I've bought from Butler and all were OE...
All new front bushings for sway bar, sway-to-arm (and related metal bits), and control arm to body;
motor and transmission mounts;
shifter bushing, cup, and boot;
preformed heater hoses;
distributor vacuum advance;
both steering rack mounts (bushings);
ball joints.
From Fusz Toy in STL (before Butler)
TVSV - HIC - PVC hose - thermostat - axle C-clips.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
SethM
Advanced Member

Post by SethM »

An update: happened to be going by my local NAPA so I took the number you (Tom) provided in and, sure enough, they can get the front springs (supposedly for the T4WD w/ AC) for $90 for the pair. So I ordered from them-- not in stock but in in two days. Turns out two of the guys behind the NAPA counter used to work at Toyota back in the day and were quite excited to learn that I had a T4WD SR5 with no rust so I thought I'd just order from them. Have the front sway bar bushings etc on order from the Toyota dealer across the street from NAPA. Will keep Butler in mind though. Thanks again Tom.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Seth -
I think you've lucked out with the two NAPA guys being former Toy staffers from years gone by; to me, that would mean they would be extra-receptive to your needs in the future and would go the extra mile in searching - important to cultivate them. Another reason for cultivation is that when/if you need work done that you can't/don't want to do yourself - they may know some retired techs who know their stuff from "back in the day" and can work on "mature" Toys - and ones you can feel confident know stuff beyond modern systems.
Thanks on the props!
Tom M.
P.S. Did you order, as in my first post: "Also get the rubber "insulator" ring which fits between the top of the spring and the seat." Both of mine were pretty deteriorated - they were $26 for the pair.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
SethM
Advanced Member

Post by SethM »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Seth -

Tom M.
P.S. Did you order, as in my first post: "Also get the rubber "insulator" ring which fits between the top of the spring and the seat." Both of mine were pretty deteriorated - they were $26 for the pair.
$26 for the PAIR? Ouch! I have been waiting for them to come in before responding. Just received them from my local Toyota dealer. $22 EACH.....

The springs arrived at NAPA at about the same time so now I have to read up on this job....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - they're up to $16 each now at my source...
When you install them, be careful on their orientation - it is easy to get them slightly out of position and then you have to repeat the whole operation. It would also be a good idea to spray some silicone on the top of the spring to ease the placement of the insulator.
I would also look around on your area's Craigslist for clamshell-type compressors instead of the suicide sticks (which can be borrowed from most parts chains). I bought a HF clamshell *, as I did not feel comfortable using the sticks (I know, I know - others have no problemo with them - I'm a wuss).
Tom M.
* NOTE: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43753
When I bought it in late '07, it was $30 - maybe wait for a sale/call your local store.
Further info on the HF clamshell - read on down to my post there (same nom de Net): http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.ph ... =clamshell
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain