Clutch

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thats a good price (half?) for a clutch Jhon and Ive herd Beck Arnly was quality(from Kragen),but Id need more proof-of-quality first.Id like to find out more about that performance clutch that someone submited early. Alan B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Well the only performance clutches I've found are CAP clutch and Centerforce, and they are expensive. Like $300 or $400 for the kit. I am considering grinding the bellhousing so a 200mm flywheel and clutch will fit. The outside of the bellhousing will have to be welded to keep the strength. This has been done before with good results and once you go to the more common 200 mm flywheel found on the Corolla and newer Tercel, there are so many options for the clutch.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

It was the CAP Clutch-Kit for $159.00.I havnt reveud the performance stats yet(Torq vs. Hp?) so Im not realy sure if its better than the stock one,although the cost is close at most stores.Those Mods. sound very involved,are you shure your not just looking another project(Ha!). :lol:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

That price for the cap clutch is pretth good considering it's supposed to be as good as centerforce. They both claim 30% more grip than the original one. I was thinking of doing that modification because I'm putting a 4A-GE engine in it which has more power and typically you would let the clutch out at a higher rpm to get power starting off, so it's harder on the clutch. Also those engines have a different flywheel bolt pattern so if I don't use the bigger flywheel, I have to modify the original one, so either way something has to be modified for it to work. I was going to machine the flywheel and make an adapter for the 4A-GE crank and use the Cap clutch.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

Let me know if you can get a 4age in there! Everything I've read said it wouldn't fit. I'd love to put a 4agze in ;)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

All A series Toyota engines have the same bolt pattern for the bell housing and theoretically should 'bolt' in. A 4age/ze could definitely be put into a tercel. The largest problems that I am aware of are: wiring the electrical, moving the exhaust over to the other side of the engine and trying to get around the steering column with it, and upgrading the car to the required high-pressure fuel system. I've also heard that the DOHC 4a engines are taller then the SOHC 4a/3a engines. This means you will need to put a 'bump' in your hood. I imagine that the easiest engine to transplant in would be the rwd configured 4age from the AE86. The water outlets/inlets are basically identical in location to the 3AC. The intake faces the right way, and the wiring harness would not need to be modified to much, as it would extend to the right areas without much trouble. The AE86 gas tank might even fit onto the tercel 4wd (not sure on this one). If one was going to put a 4agze, a small port high comp 16V 4age, or a 20V 4age, more work would be needed. In the cases of these engines, the wiring harnesses would need to be lengthened, the intakes modified to point the right way, and parts from the rwd 4age used. It will vary per engine used.

If you have any 4agze/4age specific questions, feel free to ask. I've worked lots on them, and had a 4agze hybrid in my AE86 for a couple of years. (It was very fast btw - I took a WRX turbo and a 944 turbo with it B) )
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Nick, how did you beat a WRX? They have 300 horsepower!!
Wierd Al, if you want to put a 4A-GE in your car, you can. The rwd model bluetop 4A-GE is the easiest. The worst issue is the flywheel, you either have to modify the 3A-C one to fit the 4A-GE crank or grind out part of the bellhousing so the 4A-GE one will fit in the tranny. The bellhousing should be reinforced on the outside so it's not weakened. The second method is better because you have unlimited options for the clutch that way. Neither are extremely difficult.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

Actually, I'm not a good candidate for an engine swap at this point, because my original engine only has about 50k miles on it, and ran well the little bit I've run it.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

What is the cheapest clutch kit I can get so that I at least can get it moving again? I also don't want one that won't last a year but the cheapest one considering it will last a while.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

ok lets say I ground out the bell housing to use the ae86 flywheel, what clutch do i get? one for the 4age or one for the original transmission? i already bought a sachs clutch kit for the tercel with the 3ac engine. thats still in the box. i prefer the idea of ginding out the bell housing and using the 200m 4age flywheel, so if i do that when i go to the autostore which clutch do i get??? man i am confused!!!!!!

i may have a clutch for sale
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

You would use the 4A-GE clutch. The input shaft spline is the same as the Tercel's. With a 200mm flywheel you may not have to grind out the bellhousing and if you do, you will have to weld support around it because it's pretty thin.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

There seems to be 2 clutches available- the 7-1/2" O.D. and the 190mm O.D. one. Which one is the right one? BTW my friend is not so enthusiastic about replacing the clutch but he does want to drive it! He wants me to pay someone else. How am I going to learn like that? The only things that're holding me down right now are the tools and parts and possibly waiting for my friend to be on vacation in two weeks.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

According to my plastic-fantastic Cybercalc program.... 75." = 190.4999999999 mm.

Doing a clutch is major motion...*somebody* needs to have some experience before starting.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I did mine when I put the new engine in my 86. I bought a new disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and release bearing. I also had the flywheel resurfaced.

I would say the easiest way to do the clutch is to pull the engine. I took the whole front end of the car off which made it much easier to remove and replace the engine. Probably not necessary though. I bought the Clutch kit at NAPA and it seems to work just fine so far.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I think the hardest part of replacing the clutch is aligning the input shaft to go back in. I've heard it requires some patience and wiggling around. I'll think about it some more as I can't afford to have a Tercel with no transmission here!