Looking for Tercel

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Post by russkiypenguin1 »

Jerry,

Welcome to the group. Body rust is a significant issue. Seems like carb rebuilds work out alright. Unless you boost the engine the xfer case and tranny are fine. Seems like the heater cores have the levers break pretty often.
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Thanks to all for the welcomes and info.

Ideally, I am looking for something that is fairly rust free and mechanically sound. It will be pressed into "daily driver" usage immediately; I'm not in the position to take on another "project" at this point. (I already have my Bronco in the garage, and my wife would throw me out if I had a project in the driveway too!).

Anyway... Thanks again, and appreciate you keeping your eyes open for me.

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA
Owner of a rusty '84 Terc SR5 4WD
251,000+ miles, original engine, second transmission.

Transmission soon to GRENADE!
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Found a car around here - it's an '83, with 175,000 on it or so.

I haven't had a chance to drive it, but did start it and made the following observations:

1. Cold starting it (probably was mid 40's temperature wise), it idled really rough, almost as if one cylinder was not firing. Should I suspect valve or ring problems on a motor with this much mileage, or would you lean more towards tune up stuff (plugs, rotor & cap, wires).

1a. revving it up to around 3000 rpm, it smoothed out. So, maybe this is carburetor?

2. The valve cover was covered with oil, and I noticed a little smoke from oil burning underneath the carburetor. I'm guessing the valve cover is leaking, but, once again, want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

3. I picked up a repair manual that covers '87 through '94 tercels (nothing 4wd specific, though). Is '87 the year the went to the transverse engine layout - I noticed the '83 has "front to back" orientation. Is there a repair manual avaialble for the earlier models? (I've already downloaded the one off the Internet.

4. The windshield is missing some of the trim (and I assume the rubber seal) around the driver's side. Is this still available new anywhere? How about the rubber seals for the doors and lift back?

Thank you for your help,

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Cool - thanks for pointing me towards that. :D
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

I posted this elsewhere, but surprised I didn't get a reply for it yet.

One car I'm looking at (an '83) is missing the piece of trim / weatherstripping that rungs vertically down the driver's side (left hand drive) of the windshield. Is there a place that sells weatherstripping new and trim pieces?

Does the repair manual (online) for the '85 apply to the 83?

Last but not least: Where is a good place to purchase a new carb or a carb rebuild kit? Anybody rebuild one of these carbs before; is it pretty easy?

Thanks guys,

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Most likely the source will be the dealer or a recycler?

You could probably pop a used one off using a putty knife?

<a href='http://www.toyotadiscountparts.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.toyotadiscountparts.com/</a>

There is a writeup on finding parts...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

'85 FSM online is probably REAL CLOSE....it is about the best manual I've seen...with the ?? second...Chilton's last.....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Update:

The '83 I drove on Monday... And it really was beat up. Sounded as if it was running on 3 cylinders, transmission crunched into each gear... It was hurting for certain! So, I'm passing on that one.

Now yesterday I test drove an '84. It ran great - had plenty of power, shifted through the gears well enough. Only problem was on the freeway it would start to heat up. Idle speeds seemed to be fine.

My questions:

Does the 3AC engine has a tendency to blow head gaskets, or should I suspect the normal maintenance stuff (water pump / thermostat / radiator)?

Would it run so well with a blown head gasket? My thought would be no, because it would be losing compression. The car also just passed CA smog with the addition of a new cat.

Thank you,

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Jerry wrote: Now yesterday I test drove an '84. It ran great - had plenty of power, shifted through the gears well enough. Only problem was on the freeway it would start to heat up. Idle speeds seemed to be fine.

My questions:

Does the 3AC engine has a tendency to blow head gaskets, or should I suspect the normal maintenance stuff (water pump / thermostat / radiator)?

Would it run so well with a blown head gasket? My thought would be no, because it would be losing compression. The car also just passed CA smog with the addition of a new cat.

Thank you,

Jerry
The engine overheating issue sounds like a normal maintenance thing to me. Just make sure the previous owner did not drive it too much with the engine at too hot a temperature - this could have caused damage that is not yet apparent.

Headgasket leaks don't always lower compression. They can be between any combination of the following: water jackets, oil passages, cylinder, outside of engine. Ways to check for blown head gaskets do include: low compression, excessive moisture and sweet smell out the exhaust, water in oil, bubbles/pressurization in radiator, etc.

Good luck!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

GTSSportCoupe:

Thanks for the reply, and the comments on head gasket leaks. All make sense, and I can spend some more time testing if I get to check out the car again.

The one I'm looking at is pretty rusty in spots - along the lower windshield frame on the passenger side, and has a hole in the roof where the rack used to be. Muffler is missing, so it has the "rice boy" sound to it... It's kind of a shame that the powertrain ran so good, because the body was in mediocre shape. :(

I guess another question - how hard is it to swap the engine / trans in and out of these things? Can I do it in my garage with a cherry picker, or does it have to be hauled out from underneath?

I am still hoping that a nice, clean, good running one will come along my way (Bakersfield, CA). So, keep your eyes open for me guys, and please PM me if you come across a good vehicle.

Thank you,

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Jerry,

It's not that bad to remove the engine and trans. Fairly simple compared to most 4wds, and the tercel engine and transmission are relatively light and easy to manuever. You can remove the front grill, upper cross bar thing and bumber to make it easier to remove the engine and transmission. This is what I did on mine, then I didn't have to drop anything from underneath.

I just replaced a I6 in my parent-in-law's Cressida. I hadn't realized how easy the tercel is to work on until I did this job. The Cressida engine weighted 550lbs. For a comparison - I could lift the 3AC for my tercel myself, so it must have only been about 250 lbs or less.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
hornett22
Top Notch Member

Post by hornett22 »

there ARE a couple here in ct.about 800 bucks each.a teal one near my house has a small rust bubble on the passenger rear inner fender.drivers seat is trashed.needs corner markers in the front and drivers turn signal lens (front).motor was replaced 6 years ago and they rarely drive it.other wise if you washed it it would look great.other is mint according to the owner but i haven't gone to look at it yet .
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Those cars sound decent... Only problem is I'm way over on the left coast (in CA), and really don't think my wife would go for a road trip right now. :)

I'm hoping to find one "nearby" - nevada, arizona, even east Texas is doable. But, maybe beggars can't be choosers?
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Jerry,Im from San Diego and sometimes I see good deals on 4x Tercels.I went to your member info~area to find your gen. location and it wasnt there,so I decided "screw~it".If anyone is not willing to make the effort of listing there "general" location...then Im not willing to help them find parts or cars as it were,because of the required "footwork" involved,pending on distance. :) I also see locations as being important for future Repair-Co~Op endevers...And so it goes.........."Good~Luck" B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Jerry, check Craigslist.org. There were several cars for sale in California that looked decent.