My next Tercel

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

<a href='http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6448' target='_blank'>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ry=6448</a>

It's back - this car has been auctioned twice in the past, I guess the winner backed out both times. It's a Texas car moved to Michigan (close to me) by the last owner, so I get a rust-free southern body but the transportation has already been done. Screw that other one (I'm the high bidder, but reserve is not met and the bidding is crazy). Here, I can afford to bid high because my transportation cost will be nothing.
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Post by russkiypenguin1 »

that price is insane. $1700?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

$2025!! Don't bid any higher!!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Dang thats pricey
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Crap. I guess someone else really wants it, and he has more money than I do
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

My goodness! :blink: It went up about $1000 since I last saw it. Dang, bummer.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

It went from $500 to $2500 in 2 hours.

Maybe he is using someone else's account to enter fictitious bids to drive the price up. Then after it ends he could say the high bidder backed out and sell it to me for the highest I bid. Probably not, but that would be easy to do.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the Michigan car, 3AC.....sounds like a lot of inconsistencies in the description to me. I've spent most of my career in the automobile business and this guy sounds like the typical used car salesman. Notice all the things he says he has done to the car....total it all up and you've maybe spent $300, but more likely $200. Now look at the list of stuff that needs doing.....$1500 minimum, I'd say, but probably much more. I didnt' even see a picture of the rust on the hood. He says he bought it as a winter driver, but then kept it stored through the winter.....says it doesn't use oil as far as he can tell, but how can u tell if you're not driving it ?? It either uses oil or it doesn't ....check the dipstick and be honest about it !

Bottom line for me is that $2500 or whatever it will eventually bring , as much as we all love these cars, is a LOT to pay, even for a LOW mileage, pristine car with NO problems. We bought the car I'm driving for $625 two years ago..it's an '85 and had 123K on it, local one-owner trade in with good tires on it. Yeah, it needs painting, and the A/C doesnt' work, and it uses some oil....but that's less than half the miles, and 1/4 the price !

Wow, I got on a rant, didn't I ?? Sorry, just had some thoughts on it. If you like the CA car, fly out there for $200-300 bucks, then drive it back....your costs is your ticket, gasoline, and whatever your time off costs you. And you've got a car that's 3 yrs newer, a LOT less miles, and an SR5 to boot. If it doesnt' work out, be patient, the right thing usually shows up. I'm always lookin' for them for sale around the Nashville area, so I'll let you know if anything come up around here.

MJ
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Thanks. I'm looking for a mint body with no rust, and that's all I care about. I will pay more if it runs because then I can save by driving it home. If it's being shipped, it costs $500 more if it doesn't run. I have a week off between christmas and new years when my company shuts down, so I want to take advantage of that to go get a car. Otherwise, a week off costs $600 if I can get one. With it being winter and all, it would be nice to have a new car so I don't have to fix my screwed up front end in the cold, but if I was smart I would stick with the original plan to keep driving my car while I strip the new one and meticulously recondition the body with the best rust protection so it can hold up to the winter. You're always better off being patient if it means saving in the long run, and I ought to wait it out if I don't find something that's truly a good deal. I've seen them go for a few hundred bucks before, but either screwed up the bid or had no money.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I don't know what you have found out about the CA car, and I know it's a long way from you. I have some rust to fix on mine too, but nothing real major...one spot next to the lower molding on the left rear window, a small spot in the floorpan under the left passenger spot, and I think I found a small bit around the left rear wheelwell today. If I cant' fix it myself, it shouldn't cost over $250 to get it done. Going to post some pics of it in a few minutes under my MR2 Wheels post.

MJ
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Post by russkiypenguin1 »

3ac: I doubt the guy is doing that. It costs a lot of money to post cars on ebay. Around $50 minimum. You get to repost it once if the other user backs out. After that it's back to $50 a pop.