universal joint shaft needed......

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

This is the steering shaft that clamps to the shaft on top of the steering rack and goes thru a universal joint and up to the clamp at the firewall.

Total length is about 12 5/16" from the bottom of the lower clamp to the bottom of the top clamp...with more of the shaft extending into the top clamp.

Has to be from an '83 or '84 Tercel 4WD Wagon with manual steering.

Need one with a good solid universal....stiffness OK...but no loose bearings.

Let me know if you have one.

Can use the email in the Members area. Thanks

-------------------------

Ended up, after checking with known local recyclers, doing about 3 online searches for this part.

Toyota's OEM new price = Steering intermediate shaft sub assembly $175.94

Used quoted prices ranged from $53 (including shipping) to $90 + shipping. Maybe 10 or more yards said they had the part...but you don't have it till you have it...so to speak.

Ended up ordering from a recycler for $60 including shipping. Had my doubts, but the part is exactly as the guy described it, has NO rust on it (tried to order OUT of the rust belt) and the univ bearings are tight and don't bind. It was from a car with power steering...supposedly ANY '83-'84 Tercel part will work.

So I lucked out....now to install it.

Note: Might seem crazy to pay this for a used part...but if you gotta have it...you gotta have it. I think it's crazy for Toyota to want $175.94 for a part they could reasonably sell for $35-$40. :angry:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...