Fuel Tank Drain Plug

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
dchamberlain

Fuel Tank Drain Plug

Post by dchamberlain »

1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD

The kid drained the fuel out of the car after he parked it cause the clutch quit working. Being a teenager of course he didn't bother to put the plug back in.

We didn't realize it until after we towed it home and I tried to put gas into it to see if it would even run. I drained 4 gallons of gas right out onto the ground. :shock:

I live in SE Oregon. If anyone in the vicinity, or anyone close enough for reasonable shipping, has a removed tank with this plug, I sure would like to buy the plug.

I imagine I could get one at a junkyard, but out here in the middle of nowhere there really aren't any.
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

I'm in Arkansas, but I'd send you one for the cost of shipping. LMK.
"And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you." George Harrison
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I'm sure the dealer would have something like that, or a shop that fixes gas tanks
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
loess
Advanced Member

Re: Fuel Tank Drain Plug

Post by loess »

I'm having fuel delivery issues and suspect that I've got a clog in one of the fuel lines (accidentally let myself run well below the E recently before I had a chance to refill and I think that may have caused some sediment in the bottom of tank to get sent into the lines). Going to blow compressed air through them to try and dislodge whatever might be in there. But I drained my fuel tank last night and slightly mangled the drain plug gasket in the process. It no longer seals completely and I've now got a little drip coming from the plug. Going to check with dealer to see if a replacement gasket is available, but if not, is there a gasket-maker out there that is impervious to gasoline (is there a Permatex product that would be suitable)?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am not sure any sealant will hold up to gasoline. all fuel tanks use rubber gaskets without sealant at the joint, plugs, etc. you can likely make one from the right kind of rubber, there are some kinds that stand up to gasoline, and some that do not.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
loess
Advanced Member

Post by loess »

Thanks Petros. I'll take the old one to a parts shop and see about getting a piece of rubber sheeting to cut out and match the shape/size.