4wd transmission mount ?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

4wd transmission mount ?

Post by sdoan »

Does anyone know of a source for the 4wd trans mount? (1983) I ordered one from Rockauto which makes no distinction between 2wd and 4wd but the part I recieved has a rounded cradle and does not fit over the boxy extension housing. And I have to pay $7 to ship the thing back to them. :x

Any ideas?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Butler Toy in Indy -
I got mine last year. The # is 12371-15070; cost $56.89.
Here is the link. Follow the directions and keep drilling.
http://www.toyotaoemparts.com
Note that the price is now $3 less ...
You might also check the PacNWST dealer consortium - postage may be less from WA than from IN:
http://www.autopartspeople.com.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Thanks Tom!

How did you find that part number? I was drilling and drilling and kept ending up with
"There are no items in the current category!"

RockAuto claims that even Totota shows the same trans mount for both 2wd and 4wd; do you know a 2wd part number too?

Cheers,

Shawn
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Shawn -
I pulled the part number from the invoice from last year (I know, it seems anal to keep every part receipt for a 22 year-old car, but if it's ever totalled, I'll have to prove every dollar that went into it to recover my investment).

Incidentally, I just punched that # into the "Keyword or Part Number" area at the bottom left of the site and the correct description popped up - so it is still a good number. Try it with the PacNWST group as well?

There are two different mounts shown: The 4WD is $53.84 and the 2WD is $49.24. Part numbers are not listed on the site. Send them a message through the Contact Us button - address it to "Kyle;" he has been my contact for a couple of years - he will respond with the #.

I just ordered a complete set of bushings and ball joints from him and am awaiting delivery - note that some of the OE bushing prices are less than ADV or AZ, etc. And of course some are only available OE. I'll post the results and #s in the Parts section of the Forum when they arrive.
I would think your local Toy dealer could supply the number as well - some of them will, although they do not like it...

If you buy from Butler in IN, there will be shipping, but no sales tax; if from the PacNWST group, there will be shipping plus sales tax, I would guess - 'course, I dunno if that group is in WA or ??? for the tax.
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

Great info Tom,
Thank you very much!
Shawn
hudd
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 2WD only 95K.

Re: 4wd transmission mount ?

Post by hudd »

Hi guys,

I am looking into buying motor mounts and transmission mounts for my 85 FWD and doing the install. Just want to double check with you all before i make the order cause this price seems too cheap. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... ion+Mount)

A: are these the right mounts? cause the image they have up doenst look like what I see under the hood. (the image has two bolts on each side, and the mount i see one bolt going through the middle.

B: How many of each do I need, from what I can tell, I need two front motor mounts and 1 rear mount.

Thanks for your help!

Hudd
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Do you have, as stated, a FWD (2WD) or a 4WD? The motor mounts are the same, whereas the transmission mount is different, as noted in my above post.
For 2WD, see http://www.toyotapartszone.com/1986/11- ... nting.html
For 4WD, see http://www.toyotapartszone.com/online/P ... ntsIndex=7
The Beck/Arnley motor/trans mount in your link must be for East-West mounted Tercel engines - sure ain't for any North-South Gen I or II Tercels, regardless of body or trans.
Also - do a Search for installing the motor mounts - I had one method, which I do NOT recommend, and someone else came up with a better way.
Welcome to the Club!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

Rock Auto has a closeout on T4WD motor mounts... only $10.54 each, plus shipping.
Beck/Arnley Part # 1040959
http://www.rockauto.com/

I know a few T4WD forum members have posted about a bad experience ordering from Rock Auto, but I haven't... I order from them at least a couple times a year, and have had great service and super-low pricing on their closeout items. Shipping can at times be a little pricey, but usually the final cost is less -- sometimes WAY less -- than I'd pay at any discount chain.

If you order thru RA, don't forget to enter a current 5% discount code... the one listed at the top right of this forum has expired, I believe, and should be replaced with a fresh code. In the meantime, just search for one by Googling "Rock Auto discount code"

Here's a couple RA codes I found thru Google that (supposedly) are good until May 9th:

Good luck, and let us know how things come out!
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

A - HA ! ! !
The Beck-Arnley # that garyfish supplied from RA is the same as in hudd's link to Autopartswarehouse!
Revisiting the latter link, I noticed that there is a tiny caption on the photo to the effect that "It ain't necessarily the part in this photo." Wonder how many people were scared off because of this (for other cars as well).
Of course, garyfish's RA link is a GREAT price - hop on it!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
hudd

Post by hudd »

you guys are regular sleuths! Thanks for the info.

My wagon is a 1985 2WD. That makes it a DLX, right?? ... Tom mentioned that the transmission mount for the 4WD vs. 2WD is different, but on RA's website, I am showing the same part numbers for both the front and rear mounts.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Front Motor Mount: BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1040959
(Manual) Transmission Mount: ANCHOR Part # 8377

Someone mentioned earlier that RA didn't differentiate the two and they ended up with a 2WD mount instead of 4WD and had to send it back, BUT I can't find any part differentiation at any other site.

(Toms former links)
For 2WD, see http://www.toyotapartszone.com/1986/11- ... nting.html
For 4WD, see http://www.toyotapartszone.com/online/P ... ntsIndex=7

Even here I find the same part numbers for both the SR5 and the DLX mounts.
2WD front: 12361
4WD front: 12361
2WD rear: 12371
4WD rear: 12371

Am I missing something here? My plan is to order from the RA links I posted at the beginning of this post, one front mount (just one right?), and two rear mounts.

Again thanks for the help!

Hudd
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member

Post by garyfish »

hudd wrote: My plan is to order from the RA links I posted at the beginning of this post, one front mount (just one right?), and two rear mounts.
I assume you mean 2 front motor mounts and 1 rear mount for the tranny.

To make sure you've got the correct part #'s, the way to go is to check online at
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/

At the top of the home page, click on the drop-down menu and select "Add a Vehicle"

Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)... this way you can't go wrong in identifying the parts used in your specific vehicle.

in the left sidebar, click on the "Tool/Engine/Fuel" section

then click on "Mounting" to display a detailed diagram of all the parts associated with mounting the engine & tranny

Voila!
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As garyfish mentioned - you need two front mounts - get that RA price he found!
When you use the partszone link - you do need to read the part numbers in the list at the BOTTOM of the display.
2WD Rear Transmission Mount OE part number: 12371-15050
4WD Rear Transmission Mount OE part number: 12371-15070
The line drawing in the diagram does not show the difference.

If you go with RA - make certain that the trans mount is returnable if it is not for the 2WD and that it pays the return postage and free postage of the correct part to you.

If you return to my earlier reply to sdoan in this thread, you will note the two different part numbers. You can go to the Butler Toy link in that thread and punch in the two numbers and you will note the different listings (no pix provided, though).

The FSM does not differentiate between the two mounts.

OT - but the 2WD came only as a DLX, whereas the 4WD came as a DLX and the SR5; the two DLXs were the same, save for drive motivation (and possibly rear brakes) and the two 4WD types differed only in trim/appointments. The 2WD does have a bit more room in the back because of the body differences (I'd bet it would be a bit quieter because of fewer whirling mechanical bits as well - although "quiet" in a Tercel Wagon is a relative state...).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member

Post by garyfish »

Tom -- thanks for the clarification and correction!
hudd

Post by hudd »

Right, two front mounts and one rear. Thanks for your help, guys. I'll let you know how it goes!