OEM Stereo

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Do any of you know which OEM Toyota stereos fit in an 83' SR5? I see 3A-C Power installed an 01' Celica deck. I have the junky old nob type and cassette deck and want to update.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Any Toyota radio will fit as long as it's a DIN or double DIN szie which they mostly are. The Celica and other really new decks are a double DIN housing but have a larger non-standard faceplate, making them harder to fit. What you really have to look out for is the ones that need an external amp. There doesn't seem to be much information out there about which amps work with which stereos and how to wire them. There are many different decks that look similar, and I would look for one with the standard size faceplate and a built in amp, or one that is being sold along with the external amp.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

well if you're ever going to run subs, you'll need an amp anyway

some (or most in my case) headunits you buy today already have pre-amps for the regular speakers (5 1/4 or 6 1/2, etc).
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

What would be really good is if we could get a wiring diagram for the external amp head units so we could run one of those to whatever kind of amp we want, for the regular speakers and the subwoofers. I'm doing pretty good with my internal amp unit running the front speakers directly and the rear speaker outputs going through a line output converter to a 350 watt amp to a small 2x10" cabinet with horn tweeters.