Anybody? Rain leaking in on drivers side

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Toyotadude
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd

Anybody? Rain leaking in on drivers side

Post by Toyotadude »

I pulled the carpet a to see where it was coming from and with a water hose determined it is coming in at the brake booster. Has anybody experienced this?
I have to pull the booster and see if there is a gasket or rust in the firewall.
Comments/thoughts ya'll?
If it ain't broke, I can break it !
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Anybody? Rain leaking in on drivers side

Post by Petros »

that is odd, there should not be any water against the booster, I do not know where water would even get to the booster up that far on the firewall. I have never heard of water getting in there (brake fluid can if the seals are bad, but not water). you sure it might not be coming from above there, say the windshield seal, and it leaks down onto where the booster is mounted?

it is not hard to unbolt the booster from the inside to get a look at it.. Having several long extensions and u-joint socket helps, it is 12mm as I recall and you may need a deep socket. it can also be removed with an open end wrench from the inside but that would be a slow process since you do not have a lot of room to swing the wrench under there. but I would make sure that it was not coming from somewhere else.

You can test for leaks with the heater: tape up the cabin vents under the rear hatch, roll up all the windows and turn the heater fan on high, close all the doors. go around the car with a spray bottle of soapy water, sqiriting all seals, gaps, and seams, until you find a place where you get soap bubbles forming.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Do you have a sunroof?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I've encountered this on more than one T4. For me it's always been windshield related, usually rust holes in the window frame. It drips out of the seam between the pillar and upper windshield trim, good for wetting left knees too.. Parking with the front end lower makes it worse with all the roof runoff adding to the flow. If this is your problem there is special windshield silicone that's watery so it flows in to leaks.

The booster would be an odd place since very little water should ever reach it. The cowl gasket and full width firewall ridge above the booster should deflect most if not all rain. It's possible a windshield leak could be traveling down the pillar and finding it's way to the booster area.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I had to fix this on mine recently using flowable silicone. I carefully pried the bottom trim up just enough to fill the gap with goo, that seems to have solved my issue.
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I had something like this happen on a 03 Forester. It was a mix of a brake fluid leak at the booster and a rust hole in a rain water drain.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Post by Kozuto_98 »

Kozuto_98 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:48 am I had something like this happen on a 03 Forester. It was a mix of a brake fluid leak at the booster and a rust hole in a rain water drain in the cowl.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)