Clutch Kit and Trans parts

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Elow
My tercel:: 86 DLX manual

Clutch Kit and Trans parts

Post by Elow »

Hi,
I am new to this, and working on getting my new to me 86 DLX Tercel fixed up enough to drive. It's seeming a little harder than I thought - especially for the transmission. After poking around on this forum, I see that a transmission kit just might not be possible - do I have that right?
Any suggestions on where to get input shaft bearing and input/ output seals and clutch kit?
Thanks!
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Re: Clutch Kit and Trans parts

Post by Kozuto_98 »

Rockauto should have some of what you need.
They for sure have flywheels, bolts, and clutch kits. I think Rockauto also carries the seals for the transmission but I'd have to check.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

clutch kits are available from a number of suppliers, that should not be an issue, rockauto.com usually has the best prices, but search around. BTW, if the kit comes with Chinese throw-out bearings and/or pilot bearings, do not use them, they will fail too early and you will have to pull the trans out to fix it, not worth the risk. Find Japanese or American made bearings to replace the crap ones in the kit, many kits use quality disk and pressure plate, and than put in junk bearings. BTW, while you are replacing the clutch, be sure to replace the rear main seal while you are at it.

there are no trans kits available any longer, however standard bearings and seals are available, you just need to find the part number and buy them individually. somewhere on this forum, perhaps in the parts section, or repair guides, there is a list of bearing part numbers and seal part numbers for the transmission. it was created by forum member Xirdneh as I recall.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Elow
My tercel:: 86 DLX manual

Post by Elow »

Petros wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 am clutch kits are available from a number of suppliers, that should not be an issue, rockauto.com usually has the best prices, but search around. BTW, if the kit comes with Chinese throw-out bearings and/or pilot bearings, do not use them, they will fail too early and you will have to pull the trans out to fix it, not worth the risk. Find Japanese or American made bearings to replace the crap ones in the kit, many kits use quality disk and pressure plate, and than put in junk bearings. BTW, while you are replacing the clutch, be sure to replace the rear main seal while you are at it.

there are no trans kits available any longer, however standard bearings and seals are available, you just need to find the part number and buy them individually. somewhere on this forum, perhaps in the parts section, or repair guides, there is a list of bearing part numbers and seal part numbers for the transmission. it was created by forum member Xirdneh as I recall.
Thanks! this is all really helpful