WTB i need this, speedo elbow

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

WTB i need this, speedo elbow

Post by Familyguy78 »

Somehow the little speedo cable inside the the elbow snapped. I need one more that works, please, and I need to know how this could happen so it doesn't happen again please, and thank you
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Re: WTB i need this, speedo elbow

Post by atoyta »

I don't have an extra but they need to be lubed every so often. I usually disconnect at the speedo & transmission. Spray cable lube into the speedo side & turn the cable at the transmission side by hand. Spray a little more into the speedo side & turn again. Keep doing this until the cable lube appears at the transmission end. Usually do this once a year.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

seems to me you should be able to have one short little cable length made for you. there used to be places that would make custom speedo cables, like when they would make hot rods, or custom engine/trans swaps in classic cars. you might find one of those guys and call to tell the what you need, perhaps you can send them your old one and they can repair it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I've got the speedo cable elbow ass'y (and the heater control panel you were looking for.) PM me if interested.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Toyomonkey
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, no mods

Post by Toyomonkey »

Hi guys, I'm the original poster of this request, I had to change phones and lost my old password in the process. I was lucky enough to find a replacement elbow adapter, sourced from the wagon in the Redding pick n pull. I drove home to Oregon to find that while the adapter did need replacing, it was broken by a frozen rotating magnet assembly on the back half of the speedometer. I wish I took the speedometer from the junkyard but I was in a rush to get back. Please, everybody, if you can help me with the speedometer, I'd be very grateful. PS I did manage to get the heater controls, and have working heat again. Thank you rer233 for your offer, I will try to do a better diagnosis and ask for the correct parts in the future.