Front hub assembly for parts / ?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Front hub assembly for parts / ?

Post by JDNightFox »

So I finally disassembled the front hub I have to check it over and it does have damage inside. Passenger side C clamp is cracked and it threw out the brass shim. The pinion gear has one of the teeth missing. Everything else looks okay for the most part.

I'm not sure how much this would cost to ship, maybe $70? Just pay shipping, I don't have a use for it now.

Has 4.10 gears. Will also have the rear undamaged 4.10 gears once I swap out the rear hub if anyone is looking for that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Front hub assembly for parts / ?

Post by Petros »

I doubt it has any salvage value, once the diff mount gets buggered up it would be too risky to try and rebuild it and use it. is is essentially scrap metal. the relationship between all the gear teeth, the housing and the internal components is very sensitive and it would require a complete re-machining and overhaul of all of the internal parts.

Good used ones would cost less than it would take to make that one useable, even with out the risk of unseen damage and metal particles spread thought the assembly before it blew. some of the external parts like the throw out bearing assembly, drain plugs, etc. are worth saving. The rest should be scrapped, to save yourself or someone else from attempting to use it again.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Petros wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:04 pm I doubt it has any salvage value, once the diff mount gets buggered up it would be too risky to try and rebuild it and use it. is is essentially scrap metal. the relationship between all the gear teeth, the housing and the internal components is very sensitive and it would require a complete re-machining and overhaul of all of the internal parts.

Good used ones would cost less than it would take to make that one useable, even with out the risk of unseen damage and metal particles spread thought the assembly before it blew. some of the external parts like the throw out bearing assembly, drain plugs, etc. are worth saving. The rest should be scrapped, to save yourself or someone else from attempting to use it again.
Not even the bare housing without anything else?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the line bore where the diff mounts is buggered if one of the bearing cap broke, and the other had the shim get distorted. the aluminum housing may have gotten distorted, and it may be able to be be fixed with great effort, but why?

it is not like there is a shortage of front diff/bell housings, I think I have 5 "spares" in my garage. there are others on this forum that has some too, let along the many available in wrecking yards in many states.

You would have to check the housing for cracks and distortion, true up the housing, fabbing a new bearing cap, and than machining all bores and surface to spec. that is perhaps $1000 worth of work, perhaps a bit less. That is what they do when restoring a rare old car or tractor that is 100 plus years old.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

well the ring gear has a small chip on it too I see. And this is actually 3.73 and not 4.10