Rear carburetor idle/throttle return spring

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Shanemt
My tercel:: 1983 sr5 4wd wagon

Rear carburetor idle/throttle return spring

Post by Shanemt »

My car starts fine, but when I rev it up the butterfly valve is getting stuck open from what looks to be a loose spring on the back of the carb. I took it apart and tried to tighten it but didn’t seem to help much. Here is a picture of what I think the problem is. Appears to be the throttle return spring? If so where I can get a replacement?
5496B372-32E7-47DF-884E-BDB8D21E0E7C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Rear carburetor idle/throttle return spring

Post by xirdneh »

Are you sure its not getting stuck because its dirty? I have never seen that spring broken. It is not under much tension
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

clean and lubricate the throttle cable, and all of the carb linkage. check all the adjustments and alignment of the brackets so the cable is not binding. if it still hangs up, the easier thing to do is to get an auxiliary spring from an auto parts store, or hardware store (a simple spring with a hook on each end, and fairly low tension), can be added somewhere on the linkage to pull it fully back to the idle position.

Usually just cleaning the cable and lubricating it, and all the linkage on the carb, takes care of a throttle hanging up. Use carb cleaner, spray all the external linkage on the carb, and blow it off with compressed air if available, than spray the linkage with WD40, LPS, etc. cleaning the cable is a bit more complex, but getting lubricant into the cable housing can be done by removing the end on the carb, holding it up right, and dripping light oil down the cable so it bleeds down into the housing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Also its not the throttle return spring, its for the fast idle on cold starts. The throttle return spring is much larger and stiff . It attaches to same place throttle cable connects and back to mount on head
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Shanemt
My tercel:: 1983 sr5 4wd wagon

Post by Shanemt »

xirdneh wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am Also its not the throttle return spring, its for the fast idle on cold starts. The throttle return spring is much larger and stiff . It attaches to same place throttle cable connects and back to mount on head
Thanks for the info. I’m still having a issue with is getting stuck open, and can’t seem to get right tension on the butterfly valve to close it. I see where I could add a spring to possibly fix the problem, but I think maybe I didn’t reassemble something correctly after I messed around with it. Here’s a few pictures of how’s its set up now. The throttle cable is still loose in the pictures from lubing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.