In search of ac belt tensioner

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
FranklinTheWagon
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon

In search of ac belt tensioner

Post by FranklinTheWagon »

Hello fellow Tercel owners!
I'm in the process of preparing my 83 wagon, Franklin, for a 5,500 round trip from Phoenix to Virginia Beach and back with a couple stops along the way and one priority is to fix my AC. The system is all there except for the compressor belt and the tensioner to tension said belt. I'm not certain exactly what it should look like so I'm hesitant to buy one online and my junkyard just crushed the only two Tercels in the state that I could check for reference. I'm also on an exceedingly tight budget so second-hand is appreciated. Does anybody have one I could buy/have?
And on that note, any thoughts on things I should check or general advice before making such a hopeful journey?
Thank you!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: In search of ac belt tensioner

Post by NWMO »

Franklin,

I should be able to get some pics of what it should look like late this evening when I get home. My project Tercel has the factory A/C set up and I assume it is still factory. Petros has a post with a good list of tools/parts, etc. a person should take on a long trip to service/repair issues that may pop up.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

I have a tensioner, pulley and bracket. Bearing seems to roll nice. It's a bit Rusty, but it's yours for free if you pay shipping.
I also have a compressor that rolls free if you would like that as well. Dunno about the condenser. I'm slowly removing all the AC guts.

Just let me know, message and we can discuss.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Franklin,

I will try to get a pic, looked at it last night, but I don't know how helpful a pic will be while installed. Sinusoidal Tendencies has a nearby thread where he just removed his to get the timing cover off, he may be able to get a good pic for you. And better yet, if ArchinStL still has it, he has offered that part to folks in the past for the cost of shipping.

Tom, any help with a picture or the part itself??

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Franklin,

Here is a link to S/T's post that includes some good pics.

tensioner pics

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain