looking for a T4wd manual transmission in Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
simon84
Top Notch Member

looking for a T4wd manual transmission in Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Post by simon84 »

My transmission keeps popping out of first and I'm looking for a new transmission.
I'm hoping I can find one in Alberta or maybe in the Kootenays in B.C.
So far I have an offer to ship one to a US address from new york but that's $850 (US).
If anyone can help me out I'd be stoked to be able to get my car working smoothly. Using 4WD and EL instead of first is getting a bit old!

Thanks
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: looking for a T4wd manual transmission in Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Post by Petros »

that usually means the main shaft bearings are sloppy and allows enough play in the main shaft that it pops out of gear. sometimes the shift detent is gummed up and not functioning, so if you do an AFT flush it could improve it: to flush, put in 50/50 mix of ATF and gear oil in the trans; drive it several days, including at fwy speeds so it gets good and warm (go easy on it); than with the gear oil still warm, drain out the mix. than install normal fresh gear oil, top it up all the way. It may work, but not always. sometimes it will clean out enough sludge and deposits where it will free up the detent that holds it in gear good enough to make it drive normal again.

Otherwise, you will want to get it apart and replace the main bearings (and seals while you are at it). it could get bad enough where eventually the internal parts start falling apart, and than severe trans damage occurs. if you can fix it now, or find a suitable replacement, you can save the trans. once it blows apart, most of the trans becomes scrap.

There is a thread on this forum that lists the standard bearings and seals you need for the trans. it would be nice to get new syncros in it too, but you will be lucky to find any of those rare items. it is also a lot more work to tear it down far enough to get new syncros installed, so if your current ones are not too bad, than putting new main bearings in it will make it shift like new again.

try the ATF flush while you are looking for a replacement trans, see if it helps. or plan on getting the parts and taking a weekend to pull the trans and replace the main bearings and seals. you might also consider a new clutch while it is out as well.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
simon84
Top Notch Member

Re: looking for a T4wd manual transmission in Canmore, Alberta, Canada

Post by simon84 »

At first I could hold it in first and that worked. But now it kicks out and grinds gears if I'm trying to force it to stay in first.
Not sure if that indicates that it's the bearings or shift detent ro something else.
I could try atf and see...
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)