Wanted: Seat(s)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Wanted: Seat(s)

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I'm planning on getting collector plates for my car, but the biggest thing standing in my way is the fact that my seats are a bit sh*t. My drivers seat has a big rip in the vinyl, and that is enough to deny me collector car status. I'm looking for blue seats in Alberta or BC. If they are DLX seats, I only need the drivers side, but if they are SR5 seats, I would need the whole lot of them. Unless of course there is a source for OEM seat fabric so I could reupholster my drivers side.

Thanks.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Wanted: Seat(s)

Post by ARCHINSTL »

"My drivers seat has a big rip in the vinyl, and that is enough to deny me collector car status."
Really! Are cars from the '60s, etc., required to have perfect upholstery? What about pre-WWII vehicles?
Seems pretty anal to me. I'd think that must be some sort of ploy to keep the number of collector plates to a minimum.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm "My drivers seat has a big rip in the vinyl, and that is enough to deny me collector car status."
Really! Are cars from the '60s, etc., required to have perfect upholstery? What about pre-WWII vehicles?
Seems pretty anal to me. I'd think that must be some sort of ploy to keep the number of collector plates to a minimum.
Tom M.
Well here in BC, collector car status comes with a significant insurance discount. So the system has quite a few nit picky things, mainly because they want to thin the herd a bit. I will have to take multiple pictures, and send them off to be "scrutinized." I am banking on a few discrepancies being overlooked; I'm sure the people who do the review could spot an incorrect antenna on a '66 mustang, maybe not so much a seemingly undesirable 80's econo-wagon.

I've included the pdf file of what is required for collector car status if you're curious.
collector-status.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW - and OMG !
This pdf takes anal to a new level ! ! !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 pm WOW - and OMG !
This pdf takes anal to a new level ! ! !
Tom M.
Well the difference in insurance is something like $300 for a collector vs $1300 for the same tercel but without the plate, so I think it's worth jumping through the hoops, as annoying as it is.

Anyhow, anyone got a seat cover to spare? :lol:
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

In Washington state they don't care what condition the car is in, as long as it's 30-years-old. I currently have two vehicles tagged as collectors with another three to follow when I register them to my name.

I don't think there is an insurance discount in WA with the collector status, but you never have to pay for yearly registration ever again, though they do put use limits on collector cars here (i.e. cannot daily drive a collector car).
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

many states limit the yearly mileage you can drive a car with "collector" registration. So make sure you are aware of the limitations when you go "vintage" or "collector" status.

I know in Nevada, you only get something like 2000 miles a year, one forum member just had 3 T4wd registered as "collector", and traded off driving each one. Presumably this is to allow people to get their vintage cars to car shows, meets, or to get it serviced without using as a daily driver. overall it saves money to the owner, but it is actually good deal for the state, they collect a small fee from all these vintage cars in peoples garages and back yard that hardly get driven.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:41 pm many states limit the yearly mileage you can drive a car with "collector" registration. So make sure you are aware of the limitations when you go "vintage" or "collector" status.

I know in Nevada, you only get something like 2000 miles a year, one forum member just had 3 T4wd registered as "collector", and traded off driving each one. Presumably this is to allow people to get their vintage cars to car shows, meets, or to get it serviced without using as a daily driver. overall it saves money to the owner, but it is actually good deal for the state, they collect a small fee from all these vintage cars in peoples garages and back yard that hardly get driven.
As far as I know, in BC the only driving restrictions are that the car is only driven for "pleasure use," and not used to drive to and from work or school.

"But officer, driving anywhere in a Tercel 4wd is a pleasure!" :D