Air Conditioning

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

I live in Ocala, FL - basically in the center of florida. In the summer it gets pretttyyyy hot. I was debating whether or not i should install an air conditioner in my 87 4WD tercel. Or maybe i can just leave the windows open lol. Whatcha think i should do? :lol:
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

There is a fellow on this forum who has installed the AC system in his tercel 4wd. His handle is '3A-C Power'. From what I understand, it is quite a bit of work, but well worth it for those who live in hot and humid areas. He'll probably respond to this post when he sees it and let you know what all is involved.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I put air conditioning in my wagon because it gets so hot in the summer where I live. If I lived in Florida, I would definitely have air conditioning. I was there in the summer once before I had air conditioning and it was too hot.
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

3A-C Power:

What did you use for the refigerant? R-12? Freeze 12? R134a? Something else? Did you have to convert anything?

My AC system needs to be recharged, but R-12 is $$$. I'm just curious as to what you did about that.

Yeah, I'd say PUT THE AC IN. I lived in Los Angeles for a few years... not humid but it was hot. World of a difference.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

That'll probably be my next project after i get the car in good working mechanical condition. Can't use the AC if the car doesn't run! :D
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I used an r-12 substitute. It's basically a hydrocarbon refrigerant with similar properties to r12. Real r12 is illegal in Canada and R-134a sucks and it's hard on the compressor. There are several different brands of the substitute and kits with charging hoses and stuff. I paid less than $75 for the kit with the hoses, compressor oil and enough refrigerant to fill the system. I replaced all the o-rings because they are cheap and they are usually what causes an a/c system not to work.