'86 Tercel 2WD wagon added to wrecking yard, Portland (South), OR on 11/15/2018

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

'86 Tercel 2WD wagon added to wrecking yard, Portland (South), OR on 11/15/2018

Post by garyfish »

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JT2AL32V3G3664817

unfortunately, no photo is provided with the listing
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
Brodieroni82

Re: '86 Tercel 2WD wagon added to wrecking yard, Portland (South), OR on 11/15/2018

Post by Brodieroni82 »

Went to check this one out today. She’s in great shape. 300k on the odometer. Al21 body, 2wd manual. Really great shape on the interior, light blue exterior also very good shape considering the age, no body damage. Motor is still there but I’m guessing it’s toast considering how good everything looks. Ac equipped. Brand New alternator. Last oil change was last sept. I snagged the turn signal/headlight switch assembly, some small interior parts and the preheater plate from underneath the remanufactured carb.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: '86 Tercel 2WD wagon added to wrecking yard, Portland (South), OR on 11/15/2018

Post by Petros »

typically, if you find it wrecked, chances are good it was running when that happened, and engine and trans are in working order (even if well worn). If you find a car with a clean body in the wrecking yard, it likely means it had a major mechanical failure that was too costly to fix, so they junked the car.

Though sometimes you get lucky (and the previous owner was either given bad advise, or did it out of ignorance). Some people do not realize the value of good working T4wd is worth, or it was misdiagnosed. One time I found a near perfect T4wd in a PicknPull. I took the trans out (it was a 50 percent off weekend, figured even if bad it was good for parts), and found part of the clutch had come loose and was likely rattling around in the bell housing (bell housing was all nicked up inside, must have made a terrible racket). The trans was perfect, and I used it in another car. I am sure a repair shop said the trans was likely bad, a rebuilt trans would cost $3000. So they sold it to PicknPull. all it needed was a new clutch and T/O bearing.

What a shame, but I got many good parts off of it. All the same, I would have rather seen the car back on the road again. After a wrecking yard gets it, they will seldom sell you the car to rebuild, perhaps due to liability or something.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is a photo at the link now BTW.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)