Gas tank for 4wd dlx wagon

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Gas tank for 4wd dlx wagon

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Mine is leaking at the seams. I'm pretty sure there is no way to repair it. Anyone know a method?

I assume that ONLY gas tanks from the 4wd models will fit, but I would love to be wrong.

Any information to help my scrapyard search is appreciated.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: Gas tank for 4wd dlx wagon

Post by jimcrazy »

rockauto lists they have them,165.00 canadian,242.00 shipped to nova scotia,,i have repaired them using fiber glass resin and dryer sheets for the cloth,lasts a few years if you get the tank clean enough before glassing it
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I did a permanate repair using a sealant known as BMS 5-95. It is a two part fuel resistant elastormeric sealant. I used to work in the Boeing plant where they built the wing assemblies, this was used in all of the millions of rivent holes and seams in the fuel tank main wing box section. stays sealed for the life of the aircraft 40 plus years.

I had a mini van and hit an unknown sharp metal object in the snow on the hwy, leaked almost a whole tank of fuel out in a matter of min. On the assembly line they mix up large caulk gun tubes of 5-95 for each each shift, what is not consumed goes in the trash and than to a land fill (it has a 3-4 hour working life, and cures in 24 hours). I took one of the half empty tubes out of the trans bin from that day after the shift end, drove it home and smeared it over the puncture in the tank. never leaked again, drove the car another 150,000 miles and than sold it.

There is likely a commercial equivalent of the stuff, but do not know what it would be called. Aero supply shops sell it, kind of pricy. Here it is on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/292598222327?chn=ps
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I would love to find some of that stuff Petros.

POR-15 makes a product that is supposed to repair tanks. I haven't tried it but it looks like it would work great for something small like a motorcycle tank. If anyone has tried it out I would love to hear about it.

I phoned the company (spectra) that makes aftermarket tanks early this year. They told me they stopped manufacturing new tanks. But, I just checked their website and I didn't see anywhere that says they are unavailable. At that time, Lordco, could only find one tank in Canada and it was quite pricey.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/TO1A
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

4WD spectra tanks have been gone for a nearternity, anything left kicking around will most likely be 2WD spec only.

The only real solution would be pulling stock out of the rust-free USA (bearing in mind that no one will ship a used fuel tank)

Option 2 is having yours rebuilt at a rad shop.
They will boil it, weld in new metal and then coat inside and out with industrial epoxy.
Its the only fix I have ever found that will last more than a few months and the repair was not that spendy, all things considered.