Valve cover bolt

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Valve cover bolt

Post by JDNightFox »

What is that bolt at the front of the engine? It's leaking oil and I want to replace that grommet underneath it but I can't figure out what it's called
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: Valve cover bolt

Post by garyfish »

on the front of the engine, the camshaft seal is at top of engine (camshaft is under the valve cover), but the seal and the bolt holding the camshaft gear are generally not visible because they are all shielded by the timing belt cover (black plastic guard)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12299

the crankshaft seal is near the bottom of the engine, behind the crank pulley (also called the harmonic balancer = major pulley at the front of the crankshaft) which is held to the crank by a large bolt that is generally accessed after removing the radiator
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9267
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4585

if you're replacing the crank seal, I suggest you seriously consider doing an entire front-of-engine overhaul which includes the cam seal, perhaps a new water pump, the timing belt (if the existing belt has any visible cracks at all) and its idler pulley/tensioner.. also maybe new belts, and upper and lower radiator hoses if they're "soft" or bulging

good luck, and keep us apprised of your progress
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

garyfish wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:32 pm on the front of the engine, the camshaft seal is at top of engine (camshaft is under the valve cover), but the seal and the bolt holding the camshaft gear are generally not visible because they are all shielded by the timing belt cover (black plastic guard)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12299

the crankshaft seal is near the bottom of the engine, behind the crank pulley (also called the harmonic balancer = major pulley at the front of the crankshaft) which is held to the crank by a large bolt that is generally accessed after removing the radiator
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9267
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4585

if you're replacing the crank seal, I suggest you seriously consider doing an entire front-of-engine overhaul which includes the cam seal, perhaps a new water pump, the timing belt (if the existing belt has any visible cracks at all) and its idler pulley/tensioner.. also maybe new belts, and upper and lower radiator hoses if they're "soft" or bulging

good luck, and keep us apprised of your progress
Okay I guess I should have specified, lol

There is a bolt on the top of the valve cover, at the front of the engine that holds...something. It has been leaking oil for a while now. I pulled it off and cleaned it but it's starting to leak oil again. It's just a bolt, not the cam pulley seals or any of that
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I just walked outside and looked at the head I have in my garage. I only have 3 studs on the valve cover where the nuts and grommets go to tighten the valve cover. Is it one of those?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

valve cover grommet

BECK/ARNLEY 0396285 or equivalent

https://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-039- ... dpSrc=srch
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Okay so those are just valve cover grommets? I thought they looked similar but I wasn't sure why there are so many of them in a package