looking for input shaft for 88 4wd

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
dispater
My tercel:: 1988 toyota sr5 4wd 6sp, weber carb

looking for input shaft for 88 4wd

Post by dispater »

hi,

just bought an '88 sr5 4wd with a bad transmission off craigslist, been working on it with my mechanic. we got a new transmission for dirt cheap but found the input shaft was totally burnt and stripped when we were in the process of swapping them.

the very few places ive found that have tercel transmissions won't sell just the input shaft and i don't want to drop another $300-$500 to get another whole transmission. it's kind of an oddball part so i figured it would be worth a shot to ask here.

also hi everyone, im new to the community! this is my second tercel but first time finding this forum.
dispater

Re: looking for input shaft for 88 4wd

Post by dispater »

as a follow up, i've been reading some of the posts on this forum and it seems like we might be able to get the old one remachined? does anyone have any experience with that? as far as we can tell, this is the only thing keeping this tercel from running :(

UPDATE:
i found a full transmission and input shaft not too far away and just bought that. the deal was too good to pass up and it comes with a warranty. i'll be posting both of my input shaft-less transmissions for sale!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

forum member Xirdneh has has several input shafts repaired this way. he used a local machine where he lives near Seabeck WA.

they machine off the damaged surface and than press a sleeve over the shaft, and if necessary, machine back down to the correct size. It is actually a fairly common repair for similar items that are hard to replace, crankshaft from end, spindles, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dispater

Post by dispater »

oh that's very helpful to know, thank you! i wonder if that's a thing that most machine shops would know how to/feel comfortable doing given the specs for the part.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

its a common thing that machinists do
mine charged 80.

are the teeth ok on the input shaft?
if any are chipped i would take the tranny apart to see if there is more damage done by the pieces
you should also replace the inner input shaft bearing (the one in the tranny) that requires tranny disassembly too.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.