WTB SR5 front seat bottom

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Hteverow
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

WTB SR5 front seat bottom

Post by Hteverow »

I’m looking for the driver’s side seat bottom for my ‘86 SR5. It’s the brown interior with the diagonal stripes, unfortunately no plaid. I’d like to replace just this one part ideally, because I know if I don’t then an extensive reupholstering will be in order.

I will pay $30 for a seat bottom in excellent condition- no tears or stains. And I’ll of course pay for shipping.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: WTB SR5 front seat bottom

Post by Petros »

FYI, the seat base cover can be interchanged left and right, but you have to take the seat apart and remove the upulstry from the metal and foam base to switch it over to the other side.

I once had project Tercel that had a near perfect interior, except the driver seat had a small tear and the foam base and wings were broken down. I took it apart to see if I can fix it, and decided to switch with the near new looking seat on the passenger side. I switched both the foam and the cover, repair the old drivers side cover while it was off, and put it back together. The driver's side seat was not firm and supportive with out any repairs or damage, and the passenger side seat, which I added some more padding to firm it up, look okay but was not noticeable.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Hteverow
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Hteverow »

That's actually a pretty smart idea...I wonder if I can use my abominable sewing skills to half-ass a repair to the driver's seat bottom and switch it out with the passenger seat. Thanks for the tip.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

The seats aren't hard at all to break down, just use diagonal cutters to snip all the hog rings. I used small cable ties to button it all back together.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The Professor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 am I used small cable ties to button it all back together.
HA! that is brilliant! I always dread taking off the seat covers because of those darn steel rings, I usually carefully unbend them so I can reused them. Usually puncturing the skin on my fingers more than once in the process. It has never occurred to me to use cable ties to put it back together. Great idea. It will make it easier to remove later if necessary as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Petros wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:59 pm
The Professor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 am I used small cable ties to button it all back together.
HA! that is brilliant! I always dread taking off the seat covers because of those darn steel rings, I usually carefully unbend them so I can reused them. Usually puncturing the skin on my fingers more than once in the process. It has never occurred to me to use cable ties to put it back together. Great idea. It will make it easier to remove later if necessary as well.
Great! With all the help and knowledge you dole out on this forum, I feel honored to have provided YOU, of all members, with a useful tech tip! Be sure to trim the tails of the cable ties with diagonal cutters to keep from getting poked or sliced open.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited