Committed cardinal sin...

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Committed cardinal sin...

Post by slimdude85 »

As the title suggests, I totally screwed up and committed the cardinal sin of car repair. I assumed. Upon removal of engine and ordering of a new clutch, I assumed that the release bearing and hub were one assembly. I doubled down on my stupidity and didn’t compare new and old either. Boy, was I on a roll. In the course of the past few months of trying to find time and waiting for machine work to get done, etc, I’ve cleaned the garage a couple of times. Of course now that I’m getting ready to drop the motor back in, I’ve come to realize my error. I’m 99% sure I mistakenly tossed the bearing AND hub as I can not locate it anywhere. Although my Tercel is an ‘81, from what I’ve been able to figure out from old part catalogs, the hub is the same for ‘83-89 Tercel’s as well. It’s a 5 speed, though I’m not sure it matters. So, if any of you are feeling benevolent and are willing to relinquish one, pm me with price and and shipping to 65669. While I wait, I’ll have to attempt a rectal craniectomy (apologies to those with vivid imaginations). It may be chronic, so I can’t guarantee success. Thanks are in order to any who are willing to help me out or took time to take a glimpse at my utter foolishness.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Committed cardinal sin...

Post by Petros »

never toss parts until you have it back together and running, (basic rule). Even if you think you have a new part to replace it, until it is in and working, you may find it will not fit and sometimes the only way to get the car back on the road is install the old one. I too have learned this lesson the hard way, do not beat yourself up. On that part, unless you are holding the new one against the old one, it is easy to assume the carrier is part of the bearing.

Another forum member broke his, and I offered to look for one for him in my box of parts. I am reasonably certain I have several kicking around. If I find more than one you are welcome to the second one.

I feel fairly confident I have more than one extra because I have gathered a number of transmissions over the years, some for parts, others as spares or for project cars, and when I get them the throw out bearing and carrier are usually in the trans (held on with the metal spring clips). It is just a matter of finding them in the boxes of parts in my garage.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I found you an extra throw out bearing carrier, PM me your address and it will go out in Monday's mail.

Do you want me to press out the bearing for you? it looks like the bearing on it is good, you can use it as is if you want, I will sent it complete, with the retainer clip.
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Just send it as is. No need to do any extra work, especially if the bearing is still good. Looking through boxes of parts on a weekend is enough done on my behalf, and I’m deeply grateful. Thank you Petros.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Where do you want me to send it? Private message me your mailing address.
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Did it not go through? I’ll try again.

EDIT: Apparently it didn’t. That’s annoying. Re-sent it. Thanks again!