I need doors and a sunroof!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Drewpy36
My tercel:: 1987 4wd sprinter Carib

I need doors and a sunroof!!

Post by Drewpy36 »

Hey guys. Getting close to time to pull the sprinter Carib (jdm tercel4wd if anyone doesn’t know) out for the summer, but I need doors! Sunroof too. Back drivers (passenger in my car but drivers for us models) side door, & front passenger side door. Hope someone can help, or has suggestions as to where I could get these. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: I need doors and a sunroof!!

Post by BaileySims »

Are you wanting new parts to replace due to that little bit of surface rust? Seems like it would cost a ton less just to do a tiny bit of body work, no?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Drewpy36

Post by Drewpy36 »

It looks like it was already repaired once though so it may be worse than it looks. Maybe you’re right though...
Drewpy36

Post by Drewpy36 »

Come to think of it here’s what I really need advice on. Looks like there’s a broken seal on the windshield and some rust is developing where it has been thinking. What I was thinking of doing was pulling the windshield, sanding that area out, then spraying some paint over rust on it. Anyone have any better ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drewpy36

Post by Drewpy36 »

The girl herself
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Twins! Haha. Mine used to look exactly like that. Rust bubbles and all. I just sanded mine all down to bare metal, throw some bond on it and painted it. Came out looking like shit but there's no more rust anywhere. (I don't know anything about body work and paint) You and me both! I have the same problem and I have been putting it off for far too long. I need to pull my windshield out asap as well. Mine used to look like yours but has been getting a lot bigger. -_-
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

might want to look in to that,,one of my parts car that I pulled the valance off of,,had been leaking down on it for a while
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

ha! easy fix. rust repair is common in parts of the country where they use salt on the roads, none of those are bad enough to have to replaced parts yet, though Jimcrazy's should get some welding done (if you want to make it roadworthy).

the best rust resistant primer I have found is the clear coating specifically designed for rust, could clean up the rusty spots down to mostly clean metal, and spray this clear coating on. Where it encounters and oxides, it turns black. supposed to chemically treat the rust,and seal it off from the air. you can tan fill any pits with filler, and prime and paint normally. It is the only rust treatment I have tried that was permanent.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Drewpy36

Post by Drewpy36 »

Thank you so much for advice guys she hasn’t hit the snowy roads once since I owned her and will continue not to (moving to Florida in the fall, where she truly belongs somewhere where she won’t rot) gonna try doing your recommendation Petros thank you!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I had to do the windshield frame repair on my last tercel as seen here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12103&start=120
Let me know if you want a sunroof. I have one for sale. It’s in Seattle though.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

It's a shame that when these cars really shine, **DOT is trying to dissolve them.

POR15 and Rust Bullet are great products. Some call them liquid powder coat. When I did #1's windshield frame, I didn't like the topcoat. A wire wheel on a drill stripped the topcoat, but only polished the "paint over rust" product.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I have fixed quite a few of those rust patches on doors and body. I take it down to shiny metal and prime it then paint with close to matching color ( never have gotten a perfect match). Shiny metal seems to be pretty important for keeping it from coming back.
I have had a couple of rusty windshield frames too. Not quite as bad as that picture under lower windshield but bad enough. On one car I cut out all the real bad stuff and patched it up with pieces of lite galvanized sheet metal held in with sheet metal screws. I wire brushed the rust crud off (not going all the way to shiny because nooks and crannies were to hard to get.) And slathered everything with roof patch (that black gooy tarlike stuff) before installing sheet metal. Its not pretty but you cannot see it anyway when the wiper cover is installed below windshield.
On the last car I removed the top and sides windshield trim and scraped out the rust in the groove around the windshield. Wire brushed and primed metal. (Did not go to total shiny cause too difficult to get in tight spots) then I taped around windshield and body. Then I gooped the groove with u-240 windshield urathane and smoothed over with putty knife. If u-248 goes from windshield to body painted metal I doubt that seal will ever break so rusty spots are permanently sealed off from water. I do not reinstall window trim.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Post by rocketscience »

splatterdog wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:09 pm POR15 and Rust Bullet are great products. Some call them liquid powder coat. When I did #1's windshield frame, I didn't like the topcoat. A wire wheel on a drill stripped the topcoat, but only polished the "paint over rust" product.
Agreed, I used both this winter to clean up a bunch of rust spots, first getting them as close to clean metal as possible with a grinder, wire wheel and phosphoric acid (prep and etch or ospho). If the metal is pretty clean I thought Rust Bullet seemed to adhere better, but haven't had any problems with either, although I did manage to get solvent bubbles in both. They're moisture cure urethane paints and if they pool in any low spots and cure too fast cause the humidity is high you can get solvent pop. On any rust holes I either recoated with the urethane paint till they were filled or for bigger ones used kbs epoxy putty over the paint, then painted over that. Both go really far and you can order small quantities of Rust Bullet on Amazon, I did 2+ coats on most of the windshield/cowl area with just a 1/4 pint.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

Another trick to using any rust paint or converter is to clean up and coat the backside of the repair as well as you can, any tiny little pin hole through the metal will cause it to rust out from the back eventually. I poured POR (pored POUR?) into the curved bottom edge of my back passenger door when I was fixing a rust patch along the seam of the door, I couldn't see it but was pretty sure there had to be rust on the backside of the panel. Spray paints can be better for this. Fluid film behind or over repairs and in hard to reach spots should help too.

The urethane I used for the windshield was Dow U-428 Plus, the plus means high viscosity which is desirable especially for newbies like myself, it won't squish down much so its easier to set the glass height and is probably less messy. It's labeled as primerless to glass or old urethane but I discovered that Dow wants you to use a primer if your glass doesn't have the black frit band around the edge, I think possibly for adhesion but also because the urethane doesn't handle UV rays well and the primer blocks it out. This is probably true of all 'primerless' urethanes. It needed special glass primer on the repainted pinch weld surface too. Dow makes a primer called 5504G that works for both glass and the pinch weld, you can buy it with urethane here https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Dow-U-428-Pl ... 1059620628
Last edited by rocketscience on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

Oh one more thing, if you decide to use por or rust bullet, they tend to cure within days or weeks of being opened and exposed to the air (depending on humidity and temp), and folks sometimes have trouble with gluing the lid on the paint cans (its really tough stuff). What I did was either was to pour it into those tiny mason jars or use the original can, drill two holes in the lid (one to pour, one for air to escape) and then used rtv or duct tape to seal the holes until next use. With either way I also vacuum sealed them into food saver bags to get most of the air out. I still have a bit left but I'm hoping it'll stay preserved indefinitely like that.