Cardone Reman Distributor $24

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
C130
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

Re: Cardone Reman Distributor $24

Post by C130 »

Bought one, should buy two at that price. Cheapest vac advance available by far! thanks for the heads up.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Post by rocketscience »

Yep! I ended up buying 2 myself.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

oh oh, the parts hording behavior has started...
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

My 24$ distributor arrived today, looks the part. The VAC ADVANCE seems stiff but it holds vacuum. Ill pop her in tomorrow and give an update. My factory distributor is at 287K and a bit sticky. Spray Lube does the trick for a bit but not for long. If the VAC advance functions as advertised Ill buy a couple more as they may become impossible to source in the future. And once again holy $%#@ 24$ !!. Great.
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Finally got around to swapping out the Vac Advances. I pulled the dizzy and cleaned her out and lubed all moving mechanical parts with White lithium spray lube (was all i had). Removed the Philips retaining screw for the vac advance and wiggled her out (totally blown) and replaced with the Cardone advance from the rebuilt. I reset the timing to 10degrees BTDC and plugged the advance in and it went to about 18 + or - 1degree. Which makes sense right. Because the factory manual states that set to 5degrees BTDC it should advance to 13 degrees BTDC with Vac advance plugged in. so 13 plus the 5 extra degrees added to set a timing of 10degrees BTDC should yield 13+5=18 ish. Completed the fast and slow idle adjustment as well, set the warm or slow idle to 1000 vice 800. She runs a bit better that way
The car drives way better now. Slightly more power / acceleration when cruising in top gear. Well worth the 25$.... So I bought another dizzy with the vac advance for parts pool. As a side note I had to remove and cap the vac lines to HIC and the EBCV(No HAC). They were causing a very difficult start condition and a noticeable power loss condition. Ill have to trouble shoot the EBCV later.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the vac advance will not give you better power or acceleration, that would be due to the more advanced timing of 10 deg BTDC. the vac advance only operates at part throttle condition (like in cruise mode on the hwy), where the leaner part throttle mixture burns slower, so the vac advance move ignition up to off set the lower fuel burn and optimize efficient in the part throttle mode.

if working properly it should improve your cruise fuel economy a little.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Post by rocketscience »

I did finally get one of my remans tested, I'd had them sent to Montana because I thought I was going there sooner but ended up waiting an extra couple of weeks. I drove to Montana with my old dizzy and swapped it there. The reman distributor seems to work fine. I definitely did have more power on the return trip, it was very noticeable on passes, but I also swapped the carb which may have effected it. I know the vac advance works at idle but I'm guessing vacuum is too low at open throttle to trigger that same advance right? Fuel economy on the return trip wasn't any better but I may have been driving a bit harder and more into the wind.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you changed several things at the same time, hard to know the reason. the ignitor or coil may been good enough to operate, but the new distr. replaced them and you may also be getting a more reliable and stronger spark too. though an old gummed up carb will not be good for your economy either, so it could have been the carb just as well.

I once picked up project tercel in another state, decent condition and supposed had a "new" distributor. started and drove fine, topped up all the fluids and took off for an 800 mile drive home. It really did seem to start and run good, but soon noticed on the fuel stops the fuel economy was down to only about 20-22 mpg. Stopped at another forum members home in Medford to check it out, when I put a timing light on it, the spark was jumping all over. pulled the distr cap and the mounting plate that holds the igniter and the impulse trigger was wiggling all around loose, either the small mounting screws were missing or the spot weld on the mount was broken (never got it that far apart). I brought a used spare distributor and swap it out. so much for the "new" distributor. That btw was the second time a reman distributor turned out to be crap. so I always find them suspect, I use them for parts only, not worth the several hundred they usually ask for them. So the close out price you got it for was well worth it for the parts.
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Interesting Petros, I was set to 10 degrees prior to the install of the Vac Advance. Maybe its a placebo effect. It is pulling a bit better though. My neighborhood hills don't require an additional downshift to get up anymore. Either way a great deal for an almost complete car!