'84 FWD 5-speed for Trigger

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Dan the Man
My tercel:: '84 FWD 5speed

'84 FWD 5-speed for Trigger

Post by Dan the Man »

Hey Folks - I'm brand new to this Forum. Don't spend much time on a computer. I have to make a living. I have a '84 FWD (I know this is predominantly 4WD Forum, but I'm having no luck yet) that the trans. started making a noise in neutral with the clutch out. Pulled input, no surface damage but big obsolete bearing has a little play. Hoping to find an '84 or possibly a late model '83. I hope/think it would work. Don't want to go later with the lower gear ratio. I like my 37 mpg when everything is right. If I'm not able to locate one I'm afraid I'll have to put Trigger out to pasture. He's getting kind of tired -494k on the clock-. Please be patient if I don't answer immediately, I'm not on a computer everyday.
-Thanks- Dan
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: '84 FWD 5-speed for Trigger

Post by irowiki »

Hello,

The gear ratio for the FWD should be the same throughout the entire run, as they only changed the 4WD diff if I recall correctly.

So any FWD transmission from 1980 up through 1987 should work fine.

Curiously, I tried searching for a 5 speed manual FWD for second gen on car-part and it found nothing at all.

Here's 4 speeds:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search. ... ge=1&iKey=

Here's 5 speeds from 80-81 which should be the same transmission:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search. ... ge=1&iKey=

I'll keep an eye out for a 5 speed manual for you.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Dan the Man

Post by Dan the Man »

Thanks for getting back with me. I wasn't sure if I would hear from anybody. I was hoping somebody on the forum might have had an unwanted FWD that might be a little bit cheaper than the junk yards. Unless there's a special reason, who wants simple FWD when their's apparently quit a few more 4wd's out there.
Anyway, you mentioned any of the FWD from 80-87 should work. Somewhere I ran across the trans. being changed about halfway thru '83. I'm not sure what the change was or the importance of it. Any Idea what it was?
Last but definitely not least, is there an easy way to tell if the trans. is a 4 or 5 spd just by looking for a certain characteristic on the out side? In the FWD the shifter stayed with the car so that if the trans. is setting on a parts rack you can't look for the shifter knob to see the pattern. Would hate to ship a trans. from CA to FL to find out someone at the yard was to lazy/ignorant to actually determine it was the 5 vs. the 4 by manually trying to manipulate the selector input shaft thru its pattern.
I really appreciate the links! I remember the time when you went into a junk yard and they had a 2 way radio "hot line" to find out if someone else might have the part. "Internet" was decades from even being a word.
I will keep you up to speed.
Thanks, Dan
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

if the noise stops when you push clutch pedal down that's the inner input shaft bearing.
the one on the back end of the input shaft is the outer bearing and it rarely gores bad.
both bearings are available.
look into the hole on top of tranny where input was and you can see the inner bearing
if you separate the tranny from the differential housing you can put any 2wd tranny you want back onto the diff.
also 5th gear is located on front of the tranny so you can check to see if its a 4 or 5 speed while diff is removed
note if diff was made for 4speed tranny you cannot install 5 speed tranny unless hole is drilled in diff housing to accept 5th gear shift shaft
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Dan the Man

Post by Dan the Man »

Appreciate the tips. As soon as I get the chance (after new years) I should be able to get back on this project and try to inspect the inner input bearing. The input small gear drives the lower larger gear of what I assume is on the main shaft. Since it also spins all the time the clutch is out, (1) does its bearings tend to have problems also? (2) Is it possible to replace the inner input bearing without tearing the whole thing down? Not sure yet whether I want to try and repair or put in another trans. It didn't run out of oil. Just a whooole lot of miles.
Thanks, DtM
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i have driven several tercels with bad inner input bearing. some were pretty noisey
one stopped making the noise after tranny oil was topped off
look at the surface where the inner bearing rides on the input shaft
if it is pitted or grooved or anything other than smooth and shiny the bearing is pretty bad
the input shaft can be sleeved to fix the damage by a machinist (cost me 80.00)
machinist would need the new bearing to do that
i can get a bearing for ya for less than 25.00
the bearing can be replaced without taking tranny completely apart.
i have done that way once.
to me its easier to take the tranny completely apart.
i PM'd my phone number
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.