Parts worth taking?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Parts worth taking?

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Okay, so I posted yesterday that there is a Tercel in a local pick-n'-pull yard, and that I could pick any parts for members. But I was wondering if there is a sort of pre-existing list of parts that one should look out for/take from scrap cars. Or if anyone has any recommendations of parts that should be taken. I'm thinking about going back for the tranny, cause they aren't and haven't been manufactured for quite some time, and are very specific.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Parts worth taking?

Post by Petros »

almost any of the moving parts will eventually wear out and need to be replaced eventually, this is what I would suggets below, most are conditioned on if they are good assemblies:

1. complete transaxle assy (no matter condition, worth it for any usuable parts), drive shaft assy with center bearing.
2. front hubs with good bearings, include ball joints, take cv alxes if joints and boots are good.
3. lower suspension arm if bushings is good, also front sway bar, and all bushings
4. battery tray, starter, alternator, carb, distributor assembly, radiator, coolant overflow and windshield washer reservoir.
5. power steering pump (if so equipped), complete steering rack and tie rod ends, as well as steering shaft with small u-joint (at spline shaft).
6. divers and passengers sides window regulators w/ crank handles (and clips!), outside rear view mirrors, front door panels (if the correct color).
7. SR5 instrument cluster, and inclinometer assy if so equipped. Radio console, cubby and a factory radio, SR5 seats and carpet if good condition.
8. heater blower motor, heater lever control panel (w/cables), heater core. overhead light cover, and light assy.
9. both left and right rear axles if rear bearings are good (spin by hand and feel if good). Rear diff assembly.
10. Tail light assemblies, rear license plate frame/holder ("pop dispenser"), all mud flaps. Front side marker and indicator light assemblies. head light assemblies w/ trim, front grill, front and rear bumpers (though it is not as common to need those).
11. Also, see what condition the rear shocks are in, if they are fairly new might be worth getting those, and the front strut assemblies. Though neither of these are very costly to get new, so only consider this if they are in good condition.
12. if equiped with a sun roof, all parts associated with it are worth getting, if your Tecel is so quiped. sooner or later some on the forum will need parts for a sunroof.

If you plan on keeping your tercel a long time, or plan on finding other fixers, you will eventually us all of these parts. all of this is just about everything of any value on the car.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

Does it happen to have the alloy rims? THX
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Oh wow! Thanks Petros
bryanthompson wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:03 am Does it happen to have the alloy rims? THX
Unfortunately no, it just has generic steelies. Would've taken them if they were there though.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

fenders too
door window regulators
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

xirdneh wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am fenders too
door window regulators
Fenders, if they're not rotten. Seems anything at a junk yard is there because it's rotten... But I think it's a good idea to have a service manual so I know what is what to take when it comes to things like the regulators or systems like a cruise control
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

If it's an '87/'88 the headlights are especially desirable.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm If it's an '87/'88 the headlights are especially desirable.
What's the difference? I've only had an 84' and 2 85's
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Rednecklawrence wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm
LowBuckCanuck wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 pm If it's an '87/'88 the headlights are especially desirable.
The '87 and '88 headlights are more integrated into the body, they have a sleeker look (refer to my profile picture)

Since these headlights were only made for 2 years they are hard to find and expensive to buy.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am
Rednecklawrence wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm
The '87 and '88 headlights are more integrated into the body, they have a sleeker look (refer to my profile picture)

Since these headlights were only made for 2 years they are hard to find and expensive to buy.
Ah, makes sense. I would pick them for the sake of having them for other members, but I personally prefer the old headlights and grill to the updated ones. Same with the interior.
Folian
My tercel:: -87 swe t4wd

Post by Folian »

I’m very interested in a sr5 cluster :)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Front seats if in good condition
Light/blinker/wiper switch assy
Plastic around E brake
Brake pedal assy
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.