Brake Booster Refurbished or can be

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
terrytercel
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 1984

Brake Booster Refurbished or can be

Post by terrytercel »

Im after Brake booster for 1986 SR5.
Here in OZ I can't located one AT ALL.
Have to R&R mine, dont have the time to have TERRY off the road while booster being refurbished.
I've looked on line to buy one from USA, but am dubious of ending up with the correct part if at all...
Anyone had success getting parts via ebay from USA
also will USA booster fit?
I need this booster yesterday.
Please help
Last edited by terrytercel on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Re: Brake Booster Refurbished or can be

Post by Jonymoto »

TerryTercel, I recently bought an SR5 instrument cluster from Budgewoi auto wreckers in North Doyalson. They had a Tercel SR5 there. Unfortunately for me they sent the cluster unproperly packed and it got damaged during freight and I've got a dispute with them atm. You could try them for the booster. Their no. is 02 4358 8001.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
terrytercel

Post by terrytercel »

Thanks Jonymoto, I called them, are having a look, PLEASE let it be good.
I've had my bluey (1984) from new, bought the '86 when son rendered Bluey 'broken'.
Bluey has been up on stumps for a a while now.
What instrument cluster are you after?
do you have a pic?
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I'm after a speedo/tachometer cluster from an SR5. My Tercel is a DLX model. It hasn't got a tacho, so I bought one from them. Unfortunately they just sent it bubble wrapped and not in a carton. So the front face got damaged. I sent it back to them but they are refusing to give me a refund. I paid $100 for it plus freight to me and back. Also I think there was a problem with the fuel gauge because it was reading half full when it wasn't even connected. I didn't even try to put it in the car.
I hope they have the booster for you.
terrytercel

Post by terrytercel »

My blue 1984 doesnt have a tacho,
1986 does but thats the whole going car.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum Terry,

FYI, all mk 2 Tercels use the same booster, from '83-86, plus '87-88 wagon only. It may be a bit different down under, but that is the case in North America, it might give you a few more options to search.

I have a Tercel booster you can have, but I am afraid shipping would be slow and costly. I switched my factory booster to use an '85 MR2 (mk 1) booster and master, it is a bolt in up grade, but they have to go together as a set. You might also look for a first generation MR2 master/booster combo for your Tercel. It, only takes a little "adjustment" of the hydraulic lines to line up the flare hose nuts for the new master cylinder line locations. It gives you a better master/slave cylinder/caliper ratio to improve braking power. I think the booster is slightly larger as well. It is an excellent upgrade, you can read about it over in the "repair guilds" section under brake upgrade.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terrytercel

Post by terrytercel »

Thanks Petros,
today is day 3 of searching Australia for a booster.
Do you consider that its a safe bet to get a refurbished on off ebay USA, time is upagainst me know.
I don't have to time to have booster off to send away to get done.
OK enlighten me, what is a MR2, here there are no 'tercel' mr2's
'The introduction of the hugely successful Toyota 86 in 2012 has revived the long history of sporting models from the Japanese giant. Amongst these is the purebred Mid-engined Runabout 2-seater named the Toyota MR2. When launched in 1987 the MR2 was promoted as an excellent choice for those hankering after a mid-engined, two-seat Ferrari but with a rather more limited budget.'

are you saying that I can unbolt my booster / Mcyl unit and staight slide on (fit) a MR2 UNIT?
thanks
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Hi Terry/Petros, I can help you out with the shipping. If Petros can pack the item and arrange to send it to me by DHL, I can give him a DHL account no. and my address in Melbourne. I will then forward it to Terry by Toll courier free of charge. I just want to help a fellow Tercel member out. Another member on this forum helped me out a couple of times (Gottolovem) so it's time I help somebody else.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, the MR2 is a two seat mid engines sports car available in the USA from '85-88 in the style that has an interchangeable booster/master combo. not sure of later versions, but I have installed 3 or 4 in Tercels to improve their braking performance. Not sure what it might be called in your part of the world, or even if they were ever imported but it seems it should have been since you have an active car community down under as we do here.

It is worth doing the upgrade to the MR2 master/booster if you can locate them, you will not regret it.

Ebay has been a source of parts that I have used without issue, but the quality is unknown, so check their reputation and return policy first. It would also be good to know where the parts are rebuilt, parts done in Communist factories tend to be problematic (and mostly a waste of money), though eleswhere in the undeveloped world they seem to be okay.

let me know if want one of my used boosters, I can send it on Joymoto's DHL account. though I would think that it would be well over a week away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ terrytercel -
There is an active MR2 Club in OZ: http://mr2club.com.au/
Check with it for the parts that Petros mentioned.
Tom M.

P.S Welcome to our Club! Unlike many one-model Clubs, we diss no one and are eminently helpful!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
terrytercel

Post by terrytercel »

MANY MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL,
I've had a crappy day.
So nice to get some good feed back.
I'll process and let you all know.
terrytercel

Post by terrytercel »

I've found a MR2 mk1 booster & Mcyl, 2nd Hand in SA (South Australia)
today, Sunday, it's been a long hard 6 days sourcing one.
Now have to make executive decisions re; have that unit refurbished or hope its working and WILL bolt straight on.
Can you post pictures on this post?
Petros can you see or know of ANY reason the MR2 unit wont fit?
I am assuming that is is 'fatter' (deeper) than the Tercel wagons booster, is there any issue re clearance there?
Also Vacuum hose is on oppersite side

The booster from SA is part number 44610-17010, see pic attached

my booster is 44610-16090
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by terrytercel on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Photo of MR2 Booster From South Australia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

I am curious too!
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I also have bolted in the MR2 brake booster/master cylinder combo. It is a straight bolt in other than having to wrestle the brake lines to their new alignment. The primary improvement in the booster is a result of the dual diaphragm in the MR2 booster it is a superior design to the single diaphragm design that came in the Tercel. Braking pressure will be considerably reduced at the pedal.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]