Wanted:Emissions parts

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
BowieTercel
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5

Wanted:Emissions parts

Post by BowieTercel »

I am in need of parts to help my Tercel pass emissions in CO. I have a Tercel 4wd wagon SR5 with a rebuilt 4A engine (it originally came with a 3AC).

After failing the emissions test, I took it into my mechanic and he thought I was missing the Air Suction Valve and Reed.
Can anyone tell from the photos if I'm missing anything else? I would love any advice or if you have a parts car and have the AS valve, I would love to chat!

IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Wanted:Emissions parts

Post by Mark »

Not all catalytic converters had the air suction system. You can tell by looking at your cat and seeing if there is a pipe sticking out of the middle pointing towards the driver's side of the car. This sucks in fresh air to the middle of the cat when the engine is running. The reed valve just prevents exhaust from flowing out the pipe the wrong way when the engine is at idle. I don't think that missing the reed valve would affect emissions. It would just make the exhaust louder at idle like there was a hole in it.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I just noticed in your last picture that you are pointing at what looks to be part of the AS pipe. Unless it's capped off or blocked, I don't see how it would affect emissions just by missing the reed valve.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

Please do me a favor and take a photo with the air cleaner off it doesn't look like you have very many vacuum lines on yours and ours all have a cluster of vacuum lines
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's my new goal 8)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Definitely looks like a broken TVSV which would just kill emissions.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Your very first photo shows a broken TVSV that part alone has 5 vacuum lines running from it and you have none of them I can see in that photo.
Your going to need to replace that TVSV (expensive) then you need to learn your entire vac system. Your car should run MUCH better when your done. :oldgeek:
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it seems like it's also missing other emissions components like the EBCV (I don't see those two hoses running to the carb) and the vacuum switches. All of which are important part of the electronic feedback system, which reduces emissions under cruise conditions.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
BowieTercel

Post by BowieTercel »

Thanks for all your help - here it is without the air box.
BowieTercel

Post by BowieTercel »

And Mark, yes mine has that other pipe coming off the cat heading forward but stops at the rubber tube. I think I need the pipe forward which includes that valve that's about the size of a 32oz can of tomatoes.
BowieTercel

Post by BowieTercel »

Here's the back side, I think this must be a new carb - my tube coming from my charcoal canister past the outer vent control valve connects to nothing. Looks like I'm also missing an EGR vacuum modulator. Gottolovem I agree I need to learn the vac system.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member

Post by Ridlbox »

Thank you for sending those photos that you did with the carb air cleaner off the you're missing a great deal of vacuum lines that go all the way around the carburetor
That's my new goal 8)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I have some emissions stuff in a box somewhere in the attic. I'll look into it today and see what I have. Since switching to a weber and not having emissions here, I didn't need much of it.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Ouch...

Yeah I have a large amount of the things you might need but be warned, trying to retrofit stuff onto the car is hard. I speak from experience.

You will probably need another carburetor too as that one probably has key ports blocked off.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

What are the requirements in your state?
How bad did your car fail?
You might consider a weber swap!
Your vac system is ugly I'd do the webber"less vac stuff"
What exemptions does you state have?
A webber can usually pass the sniff test but if the smog tec is persnickety it will never pass the visual inspection cuz the system is considered "tampered" with.