Starter Repair Kit

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
JackWagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon FWD

Starter Repair Kit

Post by JackWagon »

If you have recently purchased a repair kit for your starter, would you post the vendor and part number. I have been chasing down links included in the various threads that diagnose the problem and describe the repair process, however I am not having any luck finding a kit. Local retail shops are saying that the entire solenoid needs to be replaced at $50 or the entire starter for $80. I'd prefer to try a kit first. Thanks
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Starter Repair Kit

Post by Mark »

Do you hear a "click" when you turn the key? If so, the solenoid is probably fine and it's just the starter contacts that need replacing. If so, I'd ask for just the starter contacts. They cost probably less than $5. You might have to remove the old ones from your starter to bring them in to compare with what they have since there are generic, interchangeable ones available. Here's a pretty good link with pictures explaining the process:http://www.yotarepair.com/startercontacts.html The pictures in that link show a kit with the bolts/contacts/etc., but you really only might need the contacts (just the right-angled flat piece with a hole for a bolt in it). Like I said, you might find generic ones that fit.
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

I agree, I think it's just the contacts too. The link you provided is the one I found in an earlier thread - convinced me that replacing just the contacts would be worth the time. If it doesn't work, I'm not out a large amount. The part number in the picture is $12 at my local dealer parts dept. There are repair kits on eBay that also come with a plunger but I'm not sure which one to get or a part number to cross reference. I have been getting that classic click sound along with a very weak start on occasion but it's getting annoying. It got too dark to pull the starter and it will be a week before I can see the shape of the contacts myself.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

I've found that it's usually just the contact that closes between the hot terminal and the plunger that wears. I bought a bunch (8?) of the contacts and have only used 3 of them so far, as the only one that's been severely worn was the hot side. I also clean up the plunger contact ring while I'm in there with some Scotchbrite.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

One silly thing I've done in the past when I had a clicking starter, but no replacement contacts on hand and I wanted to drive it anyway for a few days: I loosened the bolts holding down the contacts and slipped a piece of folded paper under the worn contacts to make them sit a bit higher and make contact with the rotor again. I'm not sure how long this would work for. I'd only do it for a few days before replacing the contacts properly.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

just a thought, you may have already done this: be sure to clean all of the contacts between the battery (including the battery posts and terminals), and the starter. A corroded or loose connection can make it act like bad contacts in the starter. I once found the contact between the cable and the battery terminal internally corroded (not obvious upon inspection), and replaced the whole battery cable to fix it.

Also, have your battery checked for capacity, most auto parts stores will load test it for free, in hopes of being able to sell you a new battery.

Either of these problems can result in a "click", but than no cranking. These are easy, and necessary fixes that should be check out before you replace/rebuild your starter. Or you will find you replace the starter, and still have the same problem.

I know of one experienced forum member who replaced three starters, one after the other, thinking they were all bad. Turned out it was a bad connection in the starter system (he was grateful for my suggestion, but felt stupid he did not think of it before he replaced the first starter).

Always start with the easy solutions, and than work your way up to the more difficult or costly ones. And ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, diagnose the problem BEFORE you try to fix it. or you waste time and money replacing good parts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
JackWagon
Advanced Member

Post by JackWagon »

Update: I picked up a plunger and contacts from RE Electric in Tacoma instead of eBay/Amazon since I'm making a point to buy from local shops especially if they are willing to talk me through a project. I think the price was $13 and they had everything in stock - the two other autoparts stores would have needed to order everything. There were obvious wear marks on the copper of both the contacts and the plunger. Started right up without clicking. I do hear more "chatter" for a second after releasing the key in the ignition - I didn't grease or lube yet. I have a timing belt service coming up along with replacing all the fuel hoses and the filter soon so removing the starter again wouldn't be a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

could you post the contact information for the supplier? looks like a good resource.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)