WTB: 1987+ Headlamps

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

WTB: 1987+ Headlamps

Post by The Professor »

As the title states, I'm in the market for a set of the facelift headlamps for my Tercel. Only need the passenger's side lamp, but I'll take a pair if that's what is available.

Let me know what you've got.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: WTB: 1987+ Headlamps

Post by irowiki »

If you have an 86 and are wanting the 87-88 headlights, you'll need the 87-88 grill, the things the headlights mount in including the side marker, and probably the connectors. Might be other things, would need Petros or someone who has done the swap to chime in.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

correct: you will need the grill, headlight assembly, connectors on the wire harness, and the side corner marker lights with the trim rings that go all the way around the head lights.

It is pretty hard to find the complete set in one place since typically one part or another will be damaged. That headlight configuration only came on the '87 model years, and the rare '88. but it also comes in the '87 fwd wagon (also rare). It took me two years of looking to track down a complete set up to swap into my '84. Most of it swaps over, but you have to drill a few clearance holes for the adjusters since thy are different and will not fit without drilling holes in the head light mount area (you will not see the holes, they are behind the head light).

If you want the high energy headlights you can get conversion housings that mount to the sealed beam location. It will not change the look, but will give you a easy to find alternative for high powered headlights. Though I like the look of the later compostie headlight, a bit more modern. the Euro style ones are similar, but not exactly the same style grill, that would be a great alternative if you can get them state side.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Sorry, I updated my profile. I have an '87 with a chipped headlamp that I would like to replace. The car was built in 1986, but the owner's manual claims it to be a MY1987 vehicle.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's correct, auto manufacturers start releasing the next year's vehicles in the fall of the current year. it's super weird and doesn't make any sense to me. maybe it's to make the public feel like they are getting cars that are so new, they're a year early, or some equally stupid sales tactic.
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Yea mine's boogered up too, passenger lamp shade has a crack running through it, previous owner put JBweld on it (front and back) I'm in the process of removing it and I'll apply a clear cement epoxy.
But I fixed my passenger side tail lamp with some clearence marker lenses for my motorhome I had sitting around and a blowtorch.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

oh, that is ugly. you can not find replacements in the local yard? perhaps another forum member has some spares.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

i have a set of head lights and tail lights out of my 88 but shipping from nova scotia Canada might be to costly, send me your zip and I will check at post office on shipping cost
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Wait, jimcrazy me or OP?
Course its temp petros, I just hated that idiotic red lens tape I had to put on it. and I don't care about the marker lights. Ugly as it may be up close in the day time, its flawless at night, even has randomized facets like a stock lens.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
drege
Top Notch Member

Post by drege »

Think I'll use that double tube epoxy that you often use to mount a rear view mirror, wire wheel the old JB weld off and epoxy the two halves of the lens together and frog tape it - should produce the desired effects.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Petros wrote:oh, that is ugly. you can not find replacements in the local yard? perhaps another forum member has some spares.
+1 on the ugly- How's $10 for a good one plus the ride from 21214 sound? Shipping on the last one (USPS) was $13. Let me know, Rich.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)