Carb replacement

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Twamble
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel SR5

Carb replacement

Post by Twamble »

Anybody know of a good cheap carb? I have to replace mine now.. :cry: pain in the ass to find one under $150 that adds power and keeps the same fuel economy.
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Re: Carb replacement

Post by BrownBadger »

I have a known good used weber carb that I'll sell you for $125 with the afapter and short air filter.
Twamble

Post by Twamble »

Will it fit a 87?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

what's wrong with your carb, twamble?
Twamble

Post by Twamble »

One of my seals on the carb blew off where it pumped the gas and now it's blowing gas everywhere and I don't want to fix that.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I will sell you a pick&pull carb for 50 bucks no guarantees on mpg but it wont leak gas all over everything.
Twamble

Post by Twamble »

What kind of carb is it?
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Oem carb direct replacement.
the webber will provide a little more power and some say better mpg but their will be a few modifications you will need to make and if there is emissions testing in your area you run the risk of not passing smog.
what I'm offering is just another carb like the one already on your car but it won't leak.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the fuel economy is poor on the weber unless you take the time to experiment with different fuel and air jets. after buying a number of jets to try out, and eventually coming up with a combination that works well and does not give you any flat spots or drivablity issues, you might get the same fuel economy as a properly running OEM factory carb.

Some get lucky and what ever jets it comes with works okay, but I would not count on it.

It is always best I think to fix the factory carb, and get the fuel system to operate properly. Quite often people think they have a carb problem and find that it was not the carb but one of the many other systems that made it run poorly or get poor fuel economy. this is why it is very important, and always best, to make sure you diagnose the problem BEFORE you try and fix it!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Twamble

Post by Twamble »

Well I'm from Missouri, so how can I buy it and you send it lol
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Send me a pm with address and we can go from there
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ Twamble - Essex? I'm in Kirkwood, a 'burb of STL! You're just a little West of Sikeston, right?

As to the Weber - I would dispute Petros' comment about "the fuel economy is poor on the weber unless you take the time to experiment with different fuel and air jets. after buying a number of jets to try out, and eventually coming up with a combination that works well and does not give you any flat spots or drivablity issues, you might get the same fuel economy as a properly running OEM factory carb."
I installed the Weber back in 2008 and have experienced the same economy as the OE Aisan - and without any of the emissions drama associated with the latter. I used the same jets as supplied from the vendor.
I am not subject to the emission standards imposed on the STL area, since Goldie is pre-1996. Anyway, your rural area has never had any emission restrictions.

The advantages with the Weber are no tubing or emission devices of any kind, leading to fewer (aka none) of the probs with the vac leaks and emission devices breaking down (or AAP probs). The fuel economy is the same and there is possibly a tad more power.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Twamble

Post by Twamble »

Yeah just a little west of sikeston! Lol I was thinking about buying a brand new weber 2 barrel carb for 290 on eBay but I was going to look before I actually bought it
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I have a number of friends in Sikeston from BMX days at its old Cottonmouth BMX track in the '80's.
One of my two broken collarbones was from that track.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Tom, that may have been your experience with your weber, good for you. but that is not what I have experienced with the Tercel I bought from Forum member Danzo, who had installed the weber from a kit. Jets were all wrong, it ran with flat spots (jurky) and got very poor economy on the drive back. I experimented with a jet kit and made it much more drivable, and improve the economy to about what the factory carb would do. Of course that was a lot simpler than messing with a mass of vac lines and emissions components, but wish I had done that before I took it on a 4000 mile drive (it was okay at hwy speeds, but heavy traffic in Phoenix was a real PIA with several flat spots on the throttle). I have also known there are several others that have put webers on their Tercels and found the same thing.

So either you got lucky, or whoever you bought the kit from knew what to jets to install on yours so it would run good on the Tercel. I do not know how common that is, you may indeed be lucky, or it is just random if it works out okay or not. but I had to change out all of the main, idle and air jets to get it start and run smoothly and get good economy. Power was a bit higher, but it was not any barn burner either.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)