Help me save an 86 T4WD DLX!!! Need auto trans!!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Help me save an 86 T4WD DLX!!! Need auto trans!!!

Post by LeeBiew »

I have just bought an 86 T4WD with a destroyed auto transmission. Anyone in/around Western Canada have an Automatic Transmission that they can part with? I am looking for something that does not need to be rebuilt. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE THIS CAR!
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: Help me save an 86 T4WD DLX!!! Need auto trans!!!

Post by marlinh »

Too bad. I had one a year or so ago I couldn't give away. Unfortunately it went to the scrap yard.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

NOOOOOO!!!! I had bought the car for a parts car, but it is in such great condition that it would be a shame to not save it, even if it is a DLX Auto. It's only got 116000 km on it!
Last edited by LeeBiew on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

I don't even like Automatics. Maybe I should consider giving it a sex change as well. Anyone have COMPLETE Manual tranny? (Complete enough for a swap?)
Last edited by LeeBiew on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You could convert it to a manual if you find a donor manual car and transfer stuff over. You'd need the rear diff too, and possibly part of the driveshaft (fuzzy memory from reading other threads here)

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search. ... ge=1&iKey=

all the AT's left in the US, you can probably run the search again for canada.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

It sounds like a fair bit of work. I just wanted one T4WD. Almost 2 months later and I am looking into a 3rd?! Haha. To be honest... since I've gotten my first T4WD, I have been dreaming of a RWD only Tercel. To do it, I would need a "donor manual car and transfer stuff over." I would also "need the rear diff and possibly part of the driveshaft" too. So I guess any Manual trans swapping would almost definitely also be a RWD swap. I really wanted to do this to my Humble Bee but I love it too much to molest it that much. I decided to never consider a RWD Tercel unless I had a more generic, basic, less special, boring T4WD (RUST FREE and blown tranny) and HERE IT IS!!! But that seems like a big project. Not very much written up on RWD swaps for this car, plus I'd have to find a whole AE86 (and a place to park it), and MONEY.
Last edited by LeeBiew on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

What should I do with my $250, 116km, 99% rustfree orphan?...
...Auto? Manual? RWD? Parts car???
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Basically everything MT related has to be swapped over. Rear diff, clutch pedal/cable, brake pedal, holes drilled in the firewall, driveshaft is different, I think you have to cut out the floor some!

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1443
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I would keep looking for the right tranny.
Autos are not as fun to drive but it sounds like you could have a trouble free tercel for years to come!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

The swap isn't that bad. You do need a donor car.

Where are you located?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

LeeBiew wrote:What should I do with my $250, 116km, 99% rustfree orphan?...
...Auto? Manual? RWD? Parts car???
I vote for the "sex change"-convert it to 4wd m/t. Did it last year to a one-owner a/t equipped '87 with 139k i'd been stalking for 5 years. Car has all original paint (ivory-no clear coat to bust up) and NO RUST-unheard of here in the north east. I used my rusty '84 sr5 as a donor vehicle (has the 3.73 gears which i prefer.)

Swapped the black dash, steering wheel, and inst cluster from my totaled '88 sr5 and i'm real pleased with the results. I feel i have a car i can drive for years with relatively few problems.

As for replacing the a/t, i wouldn't advise it. Before swapping trannys, i installed the sr5 cluster (with tach.) At 70 mph the engine was positvely SCREAMING! Can't remember the exact number, but it was high. Wound up sending the a/t to the scrapyard in the back of the gutted '84 (sorry!)

Good luck glad to see there's one more out there with our addiction.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

marlinh wrote:The swap isn't that bad. You do need a donor car.

Where are you located?
I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

rer233 wrote:
I vote for the "sex change"-convert it to 4wd m/t. Did it last year to a one-owner a/t equipped '87 with 139k i'd been stalking for 5 years. Car has all original paint (ivory-no clear coat to bust up) and NO RUST-unheard of here in the north east. I used my rusty '84 sr5 as a donor vehicle (has the 3.73 gears which i prefer.)

Swapped the black dash, steering wheel, and inst cluster from my totaled '88 sr5 and i'm real pleased with the results. I feel i have a car i can drive for years with relatively few problems.

As for replacing the a/t, i wouldn't advise it. Before swapping trannys, i installed the sr5 cluster (with tach.) At 70 mph the engine was positvely SCREAMING! Can't remember the exact number, but it was high. Wound up sending the a/t to the scrapyard in the back of the gutted '84 (sorry!)

Good luck glad to see there's one more out there with our addiction.
I haven't driven a 4.1 before but I do like my 3.73. At 110kmh (70mph) I am cruising smoothly at about 3050 rpm. I can only imagine what a 4.1 or an Auto would be like. The problem with the donor car is that I probably would be tempted to repair that one too! haha. I hope it's either rolled over/writen-off or rusted to all hell.

If I could get a 3rd T4WD for a donor, I would definitely prefer another 3.73 Manual.

Any one know of/have a T4WD that would fit the bill?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

LeeBiew wrote:I haven't driven a 4.1 before but I do like my 3.73. At 110kmh (70mph) I am cruising smoothly at about 3050 rpm. I can only imagine what a 4.1 or an Auto would be like.
A 4.1 is right at 3000 RPM (plus or minus just a tad) at 60 MPH. My then-new '83 was much quieter at highway speeds than my current '86, even cutting Goldie some slack for being 29 and a "little looser" than a new '83. I also don't recall the '83's acceleration as being any better than my '86 (bear in mind that I came to the '83 from a '69 VW Bus...).
While I cannot recall who, a member published the 60 MPH RPM of an AT and it was much, much, higher, as rer233 mentioned.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

ARCHINSTL wrote:A 4.1 is right at 3000 RPM (plus or minus just a tad) at 60 MPH. My then-new '83 was much quieter at highway speeds than my current '86, even cutting Goldie some slack for being 29 and a "little looser" than a new '83. I also don't recall the '83's acceleration as being any better than my '86 (bear in mind that I came to the '83 from a '69 VW Bus...).
While I cannot recall who, a member published the 60 MPH RPM of an AT and it was much, much, higher, as rer233 mentioned.
Tom M.
I guess it ultimately wouldn't matter. From what I understand, it will have the same "cost and effort". Whether it is a 3.73 or 4.1... the Auto had a "different" ratio and a matching "different" rear end anyways, so both the rear AND the tranny both need to be swapped together. My (practical) attempt could only be if I had a donor car, where swapping both is not an issue. 3.73 or 4.1, I would just be more-than-super grateful to have my $250, 116km, Auto (destroyed) T4WD resurrected as a $???, 116km, 6spd, T4WD!!! (rustfree!)