Help finding good CV axels, PLEASE

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
mountaindude
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984, 1985

Help finding good CV axels, PLEASE

Post by mountaindude »

I am needing to replace the front axels in my 1984 Tercel 4WD wagon. I need a decent source for NEW replacements. I would like to do it right the first time. Any help sourcing them would be appreciated. MD
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Help finding good CV axels, PLEASE

Post by irowiki »

rockauto.com has some listed from Empire as being new.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

Thanks, I just ordered them.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Let us know how they work out (ease of installation & cost).
I've had GSP axles in Goldie for 7 years and app. 21K miles with no probs or noises. Purchased from Rock Auto.
Advance used to carry GSP, but its Tough One private label is actually GSP, I'm told - $70 each.
Autozone also has new ones under its DuraLast label, but for $75 - dunno the manufacturer.
Be sure you install new seals - and check out this link for the proper ones! https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6484 FSM has proper installation procedure.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

Wow, the driver's side CV axle came off SUPER easy. Except they sent me the wrong axles from Rockauto. Nowhere near the right compressed size. The left side is nowhere near the illustration from the site.
They asked me to send measured pictures, stating correct box/part numbers. But illustrations and measurements way off. It happens, however, I have a car with no axle. The good news is that it was super easy to remove. I feel like I accomplished something by getting the axle off. Confidence builder for sure.

Drivers side Image

Passenger side Image
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

upper one
it looks like a right side axle
lower
looks like a left side axle
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That bottom one sure does not look like anything that came out of Goldie!
Check GSP's online catalog for pix (enter make, etc. and pix will appear): http://www.showmetheparts.com/gsp/
Or direct pix of ToughOne axles (aka GSP) from Advance's site:
Left - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toug ... fragment-1
Right - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toug ... hTerm=axle
Autozone's site has dimensions, metric & inch:
Left - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 31_0_78655
Right - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 31_0_78656
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

Rockauto.com admits those arent right. Misboxed is what they call them. I returned them with their return label. Hopefully the correct replacements arrive soon. It was a 45 mile round trip to Fed Ex, and a half a day wasted, getting this sorted while I should have been long completed.

Not the greatest experience for the first purchase from Rockauto.
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

ARCHINSTL wrote:That bottom one sure does not look like anything that came out of Goldie!
Check GSP's online catalog for pix (enter make, etc. and pix will appear): http://www.showmetheparts.com/gsp/
Or direct pix of ToughOne axles (aka GSP) from Advance's site:
Left - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toug ... fragment-1
Right - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toug ... hTerm=axle
Autozone's site has dimensions, metric & inch:
Left - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 31_0_78655
Right - http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 31_0_78656
Tom M.
Yes, the parts I got are no doubt way off. Crazy that both parts were wrong though, and in correct part numbered boxes. So goes my luck.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Don't lose faith in rockauto, I've had generally good luck and only a few bad parts in the year and a half I have been dealing with them, and I think I have spent over $1,000 by now...
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

I'm with irowiki ,i'v bought a LOT of parts from rockauto with not one screw up ,good place Larry.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I just installed Empi cv axle in my Tercel4wd from rock auto, no fit problems at all. Unfortuatly misboxed items are not unusual, it happens at auto parts stores too. I received a front seal from rockauto, but the wrong one was in the box, I bought another one at OReighly's since was in the middle of the job, same brand, same box, same part number, but correct seal this time. one time I got three different size rings in a piston ring set (all in the same box!) for my Tercel engine. Same thing happened with an oil pump that came from carquest. it is the suppers errors, the retailer can not check every part to verify they actually labeled the box correctly, all the retailers suffer this problem.

That is why when I am buying locally, I always take the part out of the box and inspect it, and if I buy mail order I always take it out with clean hands and inspect it carefully before I try and install it. occasionally I get the wrong part. ONe time in an auto parts store we opened a box for an alternator and it was clearly not the same part. they had another one on the shelf. We opened it and compared them, completely different alternator, even though both had the same part number on the box.

Always double check!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

It is not the wrong part aspect that bothers me, it's that the could not expidite the shipping a bit when I have had to get put out, not only in the return, but the slow shipping. That is poor customer service, IMHO.

We screwed up and will get the right parts out to you with a quickness, is the correct way to do business.

While I am waiting for their parts to arrive, I decided to get new ball joints, I chose another company.
walkersimpson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5, 1984 toyota tercel FWD, 1987 toyota tercel SR5 (shata1)

Post by walkersimpson »

I also just had this happen to me pulled my old axle and threw the new one in looked right but the splined shaft going into the hub was to long and almost screw up my wheel bearings spent two days trying to pull it out and ended up buying a cv axle puller to the the thing out of there. Send mine back to but good to know that it's just a total screw up on there part but sucks to have to go through the return prosses and have to pay for shipping due to there mess up but hey what can you do. So what are the right ones to buy from rock auto for when I do reorder them
walkersimpson
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

When you call Rock Auto, mention the other two (2) errors it (OK, its supplier, but regardless) made on another member's EMPI axles and tell the sales person that:
1. Someone must look in the boxes to verify the correct axles are packed.
2. If in error, issue a call tag for their return and ship the correct ones via expedited method.
3. Note the above on your account.

Oddly, my GSP axles came from RA back in '07; wonder why it changed suppliers?
As others have stated, RA is generally easy to work with.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain