Interior Parts

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Hteverow
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Interior Parts

Post by Hteverow »

Hi Everyone--

I'm searching for some interior bits for my 1986 SR5 with the brown stripey interior (not plaid!). Specifically: shift boots for the shifter and transfer case, driver's side a-pillar trim, and the seat bottoms for the front seats. Willing to pay handsomely for good parts! Tried fabricating shift boots myself recently, didn't go so hot.

Let me know what you've got.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Interior Parts

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As far as the boots go - did you follow this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5074&hilit=boots
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

I'm not familiar with the brown trim but I have access to an 83 with blue interior. The A-pillar trim is in good shape and it's not blue...like a light Khaki. You could paint it up. Let me know if you want me to grab it.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Hteverow

Post by Hteverow »

Tom M: I did indeed follow that thread--printed out the templates, bought fabric, sat down with a sewing kit, and after all of ten minutes, thought: "darn this shit". Nothing to do with your precise, easy-to-follow, excellent set of instructions; everything to do with my lack of patience/sewing skills. I'd just rather buy the assembly if possible.

Cain: "Light khaki" describes my a-pillar trim very well. Mind sending me a photo of yours?
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I don't have them in my possession...they're out at the junk yard but I'll snag them on my next trip...probably this weekend. I'd just charge you cost plus actual shipping...which might be a bit out to Maine but I don't think the part will be very expensive.

I just sewed some shift boots for my 86. You can see them in my thread "New Tercel 4wd Owner in WA State." I'd be happy to sew you some but I'd need you to send me the retaining brackets. That would just be materials and shipping as well. I'm no seamstress but I'm pretty happy with mine. I cut my originals apart to get the pattern but on the next set I make I'm going to use Tom M's pattern printed out...hopefully the results will be better as my originals were really deteriorated.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Abletobecain wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 pm I'm not familiar with the brown trim but I have access to an 83 with blue interior. The A-pillar trim is in good shape and it's not blue...like a light Khaki. You could paint it up. Let me know if you want me to grab it.
My Tercel is green with the dark gray dash, etc. but the A-pillar trim is the light Khaki you describe, the trim around the back windows is as well. I used to think it had been changed prior to me getting the car and although I haven't seen near as many of these as most here, I would guess the A-pillar and rear trim was only produced in the one color. Thus, there may have never been any dark gray or brown A-pillar trim as I formerly expected.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Some examples of pics available online.

Although this looks blue to me?? It may be in the shadow?

PS - after looking at this image again on its' original site "car gurus", it is listed as an 88 Tercel, but doesn't say anything about being a wagon. I would expect it is a sedan and not a good example. That would explain the different A-pillar angle and seats as well? though I'm not familiar with the later wagons.

Chris
Last edited by NWMO on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

i've owned 11 Tercel wagons of various colors over the last 24 years, and ALL of them had ivory-colored A pillar trim. Pretty sure you're right Prof.- that's the only color that was available.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Hteverow

Post by Hteverow »

Abletobecain wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 am I don't have them in my possession...they're out at the junk yard but I'll snag them on my next trip...probably this weekend. I'd just charge you cost plus actual shipping...which might be a bit out to Maine but I don't think the part will be very expensive.

I just sewed some shift boots for my 86. You can see them in my thread "New Tercel 4wd Owner in WA State." I'd be happy to sew you some but I'd need you to send me the retaining brackets. That would just be materials and shipping as well. I'm no seamstress but I'm pretty happy with mine. I cut my originals apart to get the pattern but on the next set I make I'm going to use Tom M's pattern printed out...hopefully the results will be better as my originals were really deteriorated.
Well, I'd love to buy a driver's side beige a-pillar trim from you if possible. And when you describe the shift boot "retaining bracket", is that the entire plastic console piece that surrounds the shifters, or just that little square metal piece that the base of the large shift boot attaches onto, underneath that plastic console panel? Because I've tried getting that off, but the top of my shifter knob won't come off--only the transfer case knob unscrews for me.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I'll grab it for ya.

Just the trapezoidal thin metal piece at the base of the shift boot. It has to be sewed in to the vinyl (or leather if you prefer). The 4WD shift boot is plastic welded onto the console. You have to Dremel or trim enough of the tabs off to pull it. That part is pretty flexy so you'll want to package it good.

Not sure what to tell you if you can't get the knob off though cause you won't be able to reinstall the boots.
Hteverow

Post by Hteverow »

Thank you! Is the gear shifter knob a screw-on piece as well, or does it come off some other way? Trying hard not to break stuff here...
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Hteverow wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 am Thank you! Is the gear shifter knob a screw-on piece as well, or does it come off some other way? Trying hard not to break stuff here...
The knobs are the screw on type. If the shift lever knob is really tight on there, I would suggest gripping under knob and twisting it off with the other hand. I failed to do this and twisted the shift lever off of its rubber isolator, which I don't think it even detaches from.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Hteverow

Post by Hteverow »

Good call, appreciate the tip.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

Bad news. The A-pillar was snapped at the bottom where it fits behind the dash. Both pieces were there though. You could likely patch them back together and paint them but I'm not sure if that's more trouble than it's worth to you. They gave me the piece since it was broken so If you want it I'll send it to you for just shipping costs.
Hteverow

Post by Hteverow »

My a-pillar exists in its entirety, it just has a hairline crack in it that sets off my (admittedly sensitive) OCD, so I'd suggest keeping that one for yourself. Spent this snowy weekend refinishing my MR2 triangle wheels and redoing the black window/windshield trim. Going to try another attempt at the shift knob removal today, will keep you posted.

Thanks for checking on that a-pillar. I appreciate it.