rear differential pictures

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

rear differential pictures

Post by c_j »

differential_1.JPG
differential_2.JPG
differential_3.JPG
differential_4.JPG
differential_5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Mad Ox
My tercel:: '86 SR5 Wagon

Re: rear differential pictures

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

Nice pics! We just learned about servicing these in class- setting pinion depth, backlash, bearing preload and all that good stuff.
Why'd you take the whole axle off? Just to drain it easier?
And what are you doing to it- why'd you take it out in the first place?
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

Post by c_j »

Mr. Mad Ox wrote:Nice pics! We just learned about servicing these in class- setting pinion depth, backlash, bearing preload and all that good stuff.
Why'd you take the whole axle off? Just to drain it easier?
And what are you doing to it- why'd you take it out in the first place?
The axle is a spare that I'm getting ready to put in my daily driver. It's going to get painted, and I thought I'd take a look inside to make sure it looked good before I spend more time on it. I may try and measure the backlash and see if it is within spec. or not. Hopefully the FSM has the info on that.

With one axle held from spinning, I rotated the drive shaft input (pinion) 20 times, and got approximately 9.8 turns on the other axle.
Since the one axle is held, then the other spins twice as fast as normal, so divide by two: 9.8turns / 2 = 4.9turns
20turns : 4.9turns
equals
4.08:1 ratio

that is approximate enough to know it is 4.1:1 and not the earlier 3.73:1 gearing
Last edited by c_j on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

every 4.1:1 ring gear I have seen has "4.1" stamped on the edge, look for it for comfirmation. For some reason the 3.78 do not have the ratio designation on it.

The wear pattern looks pretty good on the teeth, these diffs are pretty durable so I would not hesitate to run it just the way it is since there is no obvious problems. Not likley this one will ever give you any trouble. I would not dismantle it any further or might disturb the lash and gear mesh pattern that will almost certain give you trouble later if you change the relationship between the ring and pinion gears.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)