new suspension ideas

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Re: new suspension ideas

Post by sdoan »

I like them because I've overloaded it for a road trip and it rides at the correct level. The rear doesn't seem to wander around as much either. Only problem is that the car is now so heavy that every big hill is 3rd gear at 45 mph. About like an old VW bus. :lol:

The Gabriel shocks would be the way to go it they are a smaller diameter.

The Air line runs to a hole that was already present in the LR wheel well. Not an ideal location, but seems OK so far.
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Re: new suspension ideas

Post by sdoan »

dlb wrote:how do you like the air shocks so far, shawn? where does the air line run to?
After living with the air shocks for a couple weeks and 1,300 miles it seems the biggest problem is that the maximum shock extension runs out before the maximum suspension extension. This is only a problem when air pressure raises the rear of the car too far - then you hear a loud clunk when the suspension drops into a hole.

Overheard on the street in SoCal - "Look at that old Subaru!" :lol: