changes to T4's over the years

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: changes to T4's over the years

Post by ARCHINSTL »

:oops:----- :oops: ----- :oops:
I just looked on Goldie's wiper arm; it DOES have the "INT" feature. I forgot because the print has worn off the stalk - and it doesn't work anyway.
Other wise, it is as stated: Off - Int - Low - High.
Apparently the "Intermittent" type was stock, with the "Adjustable" and "Mist" types being upgrades - at least on the '86's.
I'd sure like to get the "Adjustable" stalk - does anyone know if there are electrical gizzies needed for this beyond the stalk itself?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

not sure about the stock adjustable intermittent wiper controls tom, but don't forget that you can swap in the wiper controls from an '84-'89 pickup or 4runner. they're definitely a lot easier to find. i've never seen a terc with stock adjustable intermittent wipers.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 951#p47951

i actually just swapped in adjustable intermittent wipers into my all trac a few weeks ago after finding some at the wrecker. it's probably one of my favourite features on any vehicle.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

just updated this. thanks for the further info, everyone. feel free to review and alert me to any mistakes or anything else we haven't touched on yet.
83Whit3Hatch
My tercel:: 1983 3 Door Stripper Model. Grey seats with red inserts. 5spd swap.100W 9003 bulb upgrade.

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

Through my recent transmission rebuild, I've found that the diff cover on 83 trans have a raised Aisin and the 85 trans does not. The input shaft retaining plate on the 83 is smooth and the 85 has a raised Aisin.

Also after talking to the Toyota dealer, 83 5 and 6 spds can have either 19 or 20 teeth speedo driven gears, 4 spds have 17 teeth.
whitefalcon
My tercel:: 1983

Post by whitefalcon »

Hi, i have an '84 SR5 i'm in the process of resurecting.

While at the local Pick-n-Pull I noticed the following between my car (mfg July 84) and the 10/84 car that I was grabbing parts from:

The climate control knobs on the early 84 are black plastic with metal inserts; the later cars have black plastic with white plastics inserts.
The later cars have a vanity mirror on the passenger side sunvisor; the early car does not.
The front seat retracting seatbelts on the later cars are differnt from the early 84's.

WF
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have had several '83 and '84 SR5 Tercel4wds, all had the vanity mirror on the passenger side sun visor, that might be just an SR5 option? I have also seen an '84 DLX auto trans that also has the vanity mirror, so not sure if that was for auto trans only? Both SR5 and auto trans cars would be considered "up-market" trim lines. That vanity mirror really makes my Tercel feel more like a luxury car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

thanks, whitefalcon. i'll add the climate control knob info but can you explain how the seat belts are different between model years? i need more detail on that. a pic would be good if it's tough to describe.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I just put the steering column from an 87 dlx with power steering (didn't know that was an option) into the 86 dlx project car. I converted it to power steering. I found the ignition tumbler assembly clips into the ignition in a different place. In the 86 the pin is near the key and in the 87 the pin is farther back. So now I have to change all the locks on the car to match the ignition. It may be a power steering thing or a year thing. I haven't checked any other vehicles.
jbuggyus

Post by jbuggyus »

Hi, how about body changes (especially the 87,88 vs the 83-86) ? Thanks
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

as far as we know, there are no changes to the body of the second gen tercel wagons. however, 87 was a crossover year when toyota also started making the third gen tercels, which can lead to some confusion. they are not compatible with the second gen.