need to buy a carburetor

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
83Whit3Hatch
My tercel:: 1983 3 Door Stripper Model. Grey seats with red inserts. 5spd swap.100W 9003 bulb upgrade.

Re: need to buy a carburetor

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

For what its worth, mine did the same thing at cold startup. All cause the choke was set improperly after I rebuilt it. The white smoke was raw fuel being sprayed out the exhaust as a mist. It would burn my eyes and lungs. All I did was adjust the choke and all is well.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Blackjack,

It should not behave that way just from fixing a vac leak, unless you had the idle set incorrectly (perhaps because of the vac leak?). Just check all the adjustments, including the fast idle and the throttle stop on the side opposite the throttle cable. Also, verify that your throttle cable is adjusted properly and that it allows the throttle to return to the stop after warm up.

Welcome to the list '83Whit3hatch! tell us about your car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
blackjackbottlecap
My tercel:: 1981

Post by blackjackbottlecap »

Thanks for everyone's help on here. I appreciate it tremendously. I know nothing is what I've discovered over the last few months. But I'm trying slowly through books (which is difficult) to figure some of this stuff out. Cany anyone help me identify what I'm looking at in this pic? I have a leak at the circled hose or maybe another one. In any case something that may be gas? is puddling in the lip of this black cylinder that sits behind the carb and is bolted to the firewall. Should have took it when it was still dripping but by the time I got back out with my camera it had dried.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that hose is connected to the charcoal canister, which is the big black can, and the outer vent control valve (OVCV) and on to the carb float bowl. when the ignition is off, the OVCV is open so that fumes from the bowl can be stored in the charcoal can until the car is started up again. the can also stores fumes from the gas tank via the other fat hose you see on its top. the skinny hose dumps the fumes back in the carb at the appropriate time. there is also a hose on the bottom of the can that sits in the frame of the car and sucks in fresh air to mix with the fumes inside the can.

if you are finding fluid building up on top of the charcoal can, first determine what the fluid is. if it's gas, my guesses would be that the float bowl in the carb is overflowing and trying to dump gas into the charcoal can, or that the can is plugged. these are easy to check for. the fluid might just be water that dripped down when you opened the hood though so figure that out first before ripping into anything.

for checking the float bowl, park the car on a flat, even surface. remove the air filter housing. on the front of the carb is a small glass. wipe it clean and give the car a slight shake. you should be able to see the level of the gas in there. if you can see it and the level is between the upper and lower portions of the glass, it passes this test. if you can't see the level of the gas, try parking with the front of the car angled up a bit and check again. this angle will lower the fuel level at the front of the bowl so if the bowl is overfilled, you should now be able to see the level of the gas. if this is the case and the bowl is overfilled, you probably need to replace the float and/or needle valve. not too hard to do but may as well do both while you're in there.

for checking the charcoal can, remove the can and purge it using compressed air as explained in the FSM on page EC-10. these old cans can get plugged up and be stubborn but i've been able to clear them out by following the directions, and also by soaking the plugged ports with carb cleaner and blasting them out with compressed air again. with all the A/C stuff in the way it's a pain to get the can out, especially without snapping the little bolts, but it can be done. you just need to loosen the strap to get the can out of its bracket.