Won't Start

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Won't Start

Post by So_Powerful »

I think I know what the problem is but I wanted to draw on people's wisdom here before I go by parts.

Here's the deal. A couple weeks ago my car won't start. I after turning the key the car did not turn over. So I imediately tried turning the key again and it fired up. Over the last couple weeks it's been continually doing this same thing but it would always eventually fire up. Now it won't turn over or start no matter how many times I try. It's not the battery. I checked the charge on it. I'm pretty sure it's not the alternator. The only thing I could think of is that the starter has been slowly dying over the last couple weeks and now it's done. Does anyone have any other idea what this issue might be? Also I tried boosting it and it did nothing. I looked for loose wiring connections and couldn't find any. I thought it might be a fuse but fuses generally don't slowly die over a period of weeks. Please let me know I need to get my car up and going we have lots of snow up here.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Re: Won't Start

Post by larry mcgrath »

first off is this a automatic or std transmission? auto have a neutral safty switch so it wont start if in gear,sometimes jiggling the shifter will close the switch. that being said std trany and auto, remove the black/white wire from the starter solnoid and check for battery voltage on this wire when the key is turned to start position -to locate this wire follow the + cable from bat down to starter, it connects to the solnoid , the b/w wire is the small wire that plugs into the solonid remove it and check for power. If you have power when key is turned to start ( starter is bad ) if no power ignition switch is the problem more than lickely. you can make a jumper wire up and run it from positive batt terminal to where the black/white striped wire conects to solonid ,doing this will always engage the starter ( trany in neutral you dont want to get run over by your own can) we need more info year, milage ect this will get you started in the right direction. Larry
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member

Post by So_Powerful »

It's a manual transmission. 1985. 141,000 km. I'll try those things you said tonight.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I should hope your car does not turn over when you start it, it would be hard on the paint and body work and than you will need someone to help to turn it back over on to its wheels so you can drive it.

All carburated cars have more trouble in cold damp weather to start from cold. You have to pump the gas pedal 2 or 3 times before you crank, and I pump it several more times while I crank it, when it is cold. You have to reve it up good after first start to make sure it warms up enough to stay running.

you might get new spark plug wires and cap if yours are old, also check that the auto choke is working properly, both of these will make it hard to start in cold and damp weather. Also, make sure your battery is up to snuff (most auto parts stores will test it for free), cold weather reduces the battery output. Clean the terminals and all the contacts from the battery to the starter, they get corroded and make starting troublesome. One other thing is the ignision switch could be worn, this is easy to removed and clean the contacts, plus stretch the springs so it makes better contact before you put it back together.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You might also try bypassing the clutch pedal switch for the starter - maybe it is bad/dirty and won't permit the connection.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member

Post by So_Powerful »

Thanks Petros. I do know how to start a tercel in cold weather. I've had this car for a couple winters now. It's not the battery. It's something after the battery. It's the ignition switch or starter. Has to be one of those I will pull out my plugs and see what condition they are in as well.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

bad plugs won't cause a no crank condition, my '85 (usa fed version) has no clutch switch. my money's on a bad starter. good luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Lightly tap the starter while someone turns the key. If it starts cranking you likely need solenoid contacts, maybe brushes. Still haven't worn out any brushes myself, but at least a couple contacts. I've also fixed more than a couple newer toyota's with contacts too. In fact the only toyota starter I've ever replaced was the one my wife cooked because the key cylinder on my 84 would get sticky when it was well below zero. Drove it home in crank position, and smoked it good! That was her only thermal event that did permanent damage..

Check the little wire going to the starter for voltage while cranking too.

To make it clearer in these situations, specify if its no crank or no start.
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member

Post by So_Powerful »

When I turn the key to make the car start it only makes a "tink" sound. Not multiple times just one tink. It does not crank (canadian jargon "turn over") or start.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Did you check the wireing like i said? If is making a clicking sound (ting ) it's the contacts in the solonid,which are easy to fix. Splaterdog is right on also. keep us posted.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Americans use the term "turn over" as well, and it is one of my pet peeves. It is used differently to either mean "wont start" or "wont crank", so you do not know what people are talking about because eveyone has a different idea of what the term means. It is inaccuratge and it sounds silly, it does not mean anything, it ads nothing to the information when asking about car questions, so PLEASE NEVER USE IT!!!!. An engine should not "turn over" no matter want, it will do damage to the engine mounts, the car should not "turn over", it will do damage to the body and you have to roll it back on to its wheels to drive it. Only people who know little about cars use the term, and none use it consistantly, it only exposes your ignorance and will require those trying to help you, your mechanic or us on the forum, to have to ask "what do you mean by turn-over?"

So please save eveyone the effort and use more desciptive terminology. Please do not think I am attacking you, you have heard others use the term and it has become part of your terminology. I just find it very frustrating the use of the term is so wide spread, and it is not helpful at all. I want to instruct everyone on how to talk about their car problems so it will be more helpful and easier for you to be understood.
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member

Post by So_Powerful »

I didn't think it was ignorant terminology. I certainly don't feel like I'm ignorant when it comes to mechanics, that being said I am no professional either. My understanding of the term "turning over" is that it is synonymous with cranking. I think you are taking it a little too far when you say that the entire car is actually turning upside down. Correct me if I'm wrong but the piston in the car actually rotates a shaft in the car to provide propulsion. This shaft is not a straight piece of pipe either it has portions that the cylinders attached to that are offset from the straight shaft. Therefore if one of these portions is pointing straight up and is then subsequently moved so that it is pointing down it would be considering having been "turned over" as it is in the exact opposite position than was previously. Therefore I think it is appropriate to interchange "cranking" with "turning over". To clarify what I said above starting is the engining actually firing up and I no longer need to hold the key in the start position. Cranking or turning over is when the pistons are actually turning (slowly) the shaft around, but only because you are having to hold the key in the start position. In this instance sustainble combustion is not being achieved.

There are always going to be words that people understand or use differently (especially internationally) that doean't mean you should have a ban on certain words or phrases, just ask for clarification. If it really frusterates and bothers you don't respond to the thread. I'd hope that everyone on this site would be tolerant and patient enough to ask for further clarification on people issues are having with their Tercel's as we are all just trying to increase the longevity of these vehicles whether we are amateur or professional mechanics.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You know what you mean, but you do not know how others use this word. I am just making the strong suggestion that if you want to be understood to not use "turn over" when talking about an engine starting. I completely missed the fact that the cars was not cranking when you turned the key to the start. Your exact words are "the car will not turn over". What does that mean? Perhaps I should have read it several times and parce yours sentances, but I know cars as well as anyone and that should not be necessary for me to have to parce your words to try and understand you. If you want to be understood, use clear and descriptive language.

Pistons are not supposed to "turn over", I had that happen twice, and it is not a pretty sight. A crank does not really "turn over" eaither, it rotates. and the Engine certainly does not turn over. Cars do turn over occationally, but I hope this is not what you mean. You do not use English any differently that we do.

I and everyone else on this fourm just want to help you with your car, is it too much to ask you to please be more desicriptive and we can give you good ansers faster.

After all that there are likely only three things that can cause your issue: poor contact at either end of the battery cables, poor contact within the starter (internal contacts in the solonoid, there is a thread somewhere on how to replace these), or the ignision switch contacts are worn and not making contact. You should be able to find it from there.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

this thread has gotten off topic. under tom's advise, any further discussion regarding cranking, turning over, or language should be directed to this thread over in the forum talk section.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8502
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

splatterdog wrote:Lightly tap the starter while someone turns the key. If it starts cranking you likely need solenoid contacts
I'm not gonna brag on anything , I had several starter problem in past when that happen , I did what "splatterdog " suggest and that when I replace the starter and fine for long time 3-5 years then happen again . But what "So_Powerful" saying is something new experience that I am having trouble with my wife's auto tercel lately , it totally weird . I check the auto tranny position might be out of adjustment but no it ok . Here what happen to my wife tercel . I got in ,turn the key at start position , nothing ( i even had some one tap on the starter ) . so I play with key "off and start" few time then finally start . well ok but few weeks later happen again . this time I discover " I key the key at start and hold it there for for 3-7 second then VRooom " WHAT !!!! . ok that is something new , so it have be doing that past 4-6 month then I decide replace steering shaft include starting switch , the problem is still there so I might try replace "clip " that goes to starter give better snug contact , so it not over yet . Have fun