Machine Shop-Tools

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah Jon,Head constrution would be a deal-breaker.I would hope it would have Specs. that would help you decide,but hiden quality-flaws wouldnt suprise me one bit.Ive operated cnc lathe + endmill and man. mill at a couple diferent job~shops and even on the big,high production machines,if we didnt watch our cutting tool and speed,we could easley crash(although bad Cad-Cam numbers where the most typical).So mabey lower cutting-speed and a premeium cutting-tool could help counter bad specs...The best way would be to find someone useing them and see first-hand what the performance tolerance is.Someones gotta be useing them,right? <_<
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I always make up for crappy tooling setups by reducing the depth of cut and the feedrate to something that works. I'm afriad those cheap minimills are just not strong enough to do serious work on harder steels. Probably not enough stiffness. But for $300 and considering there's alot I could do with it, I think it's worth giving a chance. Those little lathes seem to offer more promise. Having a 6 o 7" swing is big enough to do all my tranny work and some of them may be long enough to do an output shaft on.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Id like to see what you adventualy get and what you can do-with-it,Makeing your parts...Way cool Jon,Way cool!!! :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>