Factory Repair Manual?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
kevbriga
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 W4D no modifications

Factory Repair Manual?

Post by kevbriga »

Hello Everyone. I am new to tercel4wd.com

On many posts I keep reading that the FSM (factory service manual) is available at the top of every page. I cannot seem to find it. Is this something that no longer exists? If it does can someone help describe to me better how to find it...Sometimes the things we look for are right in front of us, but it takes someone else to point it out.
Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Factory Repair Manual?

Post by Petros »

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the list! It should be at the center at the top of the page, looks like the link is missing, something must have happened to it when the file server was changed. There might be a thread about it with a direct link. But I suspect that Tom or Neu will have to fix the link.

tell us about your Tercel!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Here you go! Instructions are also included in how to d/l it to your 'puter. It is a Sticky in the General Forum.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8103

Welcome to the Club! Where are you located?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

I spoke to my local Toyota Parts counter guru a few years ago, when I asked about Factory Repair Manuals, he said they could still order them, but they were around $100 each, and broken down into systems (i.e. one for body, one for electrical, one for drive train) I think he said there were a total of 5 or 6 for the T4WD, but after hearing the price I was no longer curious about the rest.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i couldn't find a FSM for my corolla all trac so i broke down and bought one off of ebay. $55 wasn't too bad, but free is much better--just another benefit of the 4wd terc, and this site.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mad_Marx - interesting - right when I got Goldie in May of 2005, I called Toy in CA and a complete FSM was about $100. I had some gift certificates for the late lamented local B. Dalton, and it ordered the FSM direct from Toy for me. I did not "save" any money, but I did have the gift certificates, so my cost was zip.
It was one thick book, just like the '85 presented here - not one for separate systems.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
kevbriga
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel Wagon SR5 W4D no modifications

Post by kevbriga »

My light blue T4 is an '87, standard SR5. I live in Vancouver, Washington, but I bought the car in Portland. I carfaxed it before buying it. it's only had two owners. The first owner had it here in Vancouver the entire time he owned it so there is virtually no rust. The car needed some TLC for sure. Recently did the following. New timing belt/water pump, all new new drive belts, new rack and pinion, coolant flush, all fluids changed, new sway bar link kit. New plugs/distributor cap and shaft. My cv joints sounded fine, but I put in some new grease and boots. My pcv valve was shot and the grommet holding it in was rock hard and cracked so I replaced both. Did a timing adjustment as well as my valve gaps. The vacuum advance mechanism on the distributor still moves as it should, but the diaphragm is shot. I'll be putting a new v-advance in soon. Unfortunately someone tried to mod/fix the cig lighter and failed. When I bought the car the cig lighter wires were disconnected. I connected them up and my dash smoked and nearly caught fire. This simple job became huge. I ripped the dash out to find the two cig wires completely bare. After a thorough exam the rest the wires in the same harness were okay. I wired in new cig lighter wires and learned my lesson to test wires for a short when something old or new is connected. Car runs great now. I recently added an "adjustable" front intermittent wiper delay and now adding intermittent control for the rear wiper.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

pics, kevbriga!
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

If you want a paper book, Buy it now for less then $20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-TOYOTA-TER ... 7a&vxp=mtr

This is not my sale. I bought my book on ebay years ago, and was wondering what they went for these days. My car is an 83 so this book is 100% accurate for my car. there are supplements to this book for the fallowing years. But I've used my 83 book to work on all ages of tercels, the torque specs and other hard number didn't change year to year.

Best part about owning an old used car, you can buy old used books :)
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is a great buy. most of the hard parts are the same, and all specifications. One thing that is different year to year is the wireing diagrams. for some reason toyota kept changing the ware designations, and even the connector types. So all except the electrical is the same year to year, with only a few exceptions.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)